12

3rd person

Louise walked outside and she saw Dan sitting on the steps of the entrance to the apartment.

Louise: Dan!

Louise ran over to him and sat next to him. Dan turned to look at her and he had tear stained eyes with tears falling down his face. He tried covering his face with his hands but Louise already knew.

Louise: Dan what happened? Why are you crying?

Dan: Nothing. I'm just being a bit stupid.

Louise: It's not stupid if you're upset about it. You can tell me you know, I'm very good at keeping secrets.

Dan: You wouldn't believe me.

Louise: I have a very vivid imagination Daniel, so try me.

Dan: *sighs* I know you won't believe me. It's hard for me to believe it myself. But I'm not from here.

Louise: You're not from here? What is that supposed to mean?

Dan: If I tell you, promise you won't interrupt? No questions until the end?

Louise: Yeah ok.

Dan: I'm not from here, as in I'm from 2017. This doesn't make any sense but somehow I've gone back two years. I woke up this morning and the calendar said 7th March 2015 when in fact it should've said December 2017. And I don't know what to do or why I'm here.

Louise: Oh. That sounds awful. Was it completely random?

Dan: *surprised* You believe me?!

Louise: I'll admit that this is kinda crazy but of course I do. You wouldn't be this upset for no reason. So what happened in 2017 for you to come back here?

Dan: *groans* I did something stupid.

Louise: Like..?

Dan: Phil and I have a new apartment that we'd moved into about 6 months ago. It was going okay but then I stopped taking my bipolar medication and I started getting angry all the time. I started picking fights with Phil and it would end up us arguing like mad. It's been like that for a few months. Then two weeks ago Phil got annoyed at me and he ran out of the apartment. I followed him after a minute and I called out his name. *starts crying* He turned around to answer me and once he had, he got hit by a speeding car. I-It was too late for me to stop it. P-Phil didn't make it.

Dan started violently sobbing and Louise hugged him, patting his back telling him that it was all okay.

Louise: So Phil's dead? I mean...2017 Phil is dead?

Dan: *nods* I'm dead too but I woke up here.

Louise: *confused* Why are you dead?

Dan: *cries* I killed myself.

Louise: What?! Dan...why?!

Dan: Because it was my fault that Phil died. *cries* It should've been me that got hit by that car. A-And now Phil's just walking around being nice to me because it's 2015. He doesn't know what I did.

Louise: Aw Dan. It'll be okay. Maybe you've been sent back for a reason.

Dan: *confused* Like what?

Louise: To right your wrongs. The universe must've decided to give you a second chance with Phil.

Dan: *cries* I don't deserve him. I should just go now because I could accidentally kill him again.

Louise: If you're given another opportunity with Phil, don't be an idiot and waste it okay? Let him know how much he means to you. We should go back inside, it's a bit cold out here.

Dan nods at her and they both go back into the apartment.