18

Phil's POV

Regret. The only thing I could see in Dan's eyes.

He didn't like me back.

This was a mistake.

I ruined everything.

Dan looked as if he was about to cry but I stood up awkwardly, prepared to leave.

Dan: No, Phil don't go. I'm sorry it's just that-

Phil: *fake smile* You don't have to explain yourself. You don't like me back and it's fine. I'm just going to go take a walk. I'll be back later, just going to go think about this.

Dan: Phil, wait.

I didn't wait. I walked past him going who knows where. This was such a big mistake. I've made everything awkward now. He probably hates me. I called Louise.

Louise: Hello?

Phil: Hi.

Louise: What happened? What's wrong? Why do you sound so sad?

Phil: It all went wrong. I-I told him but he doesn't like me back.

Louise: *sighs* Dammit. What did he say?

Phil: He didn't say anything. He just had this look of regret on his face and-ugh I've screwed everything up.

Louise: I'm sure it'll be okay. You can still be friends.

Phil: Louise, he probably hates me!

Louise: I doubt that-

I heard a beeping noise and I turned to face my left and that's when I realised that there was a car heading straight towards me. I was in the middle of the road. Before I could react, I was pushed towards the pavement.

Dan's PoV

I followed Phil from the park, keeping my distance because I was worried about him and I thought I should tell him the truth. I watched as Phil started walking across the road whilst he was on call with someone. He wasn't paying attention. There was a car heading towards him. Without even thinking, I ran towards him as fast as I could. This is the reason I was sent back. To see if I would save him. And I would, a million times over.

I luckily got to him in time and just as the car was only a few metres away, I pushed him hard enough to get out of the way.

Dan: NOT AGAIN!

Phil's PoV

The car hit Dan full force. The second the car had gone I leapt to my feet and ran towards Dan. Dan was still conscious but barely. There was blood all across the road. A man behind me called an ambulance but I wasn't focused on that.

Phil: *crying* Why would you do that? You idiot! You should've just let me get hit by the car!

Dan: *breathless* I couldn't let it happen again. That's why I was sent here, to save you b-because *cries* I couldn't save you last time.

Phil: You're not making any sense Dan! Last time?

Dan: I-I'm sorry. I love you.

Dan's eyes were slipping shut but he was fighting hard not to close them. His head fell down with his eyes closed and I screamed at him. I was shaking him but not so much as to hurt him. I checked his pulse and there was a pulse thank God, but it was really slow and weak.

Phil: Dan! Dan wake up! DAN!

Dan wouldn't wake up though. The ambulance got there and took him away with me in the ambulance too.

We got to the hospital and they took Dan away, leaving me alone in the waiting room.

I was thinking back to what Dan had said.

Not again?

What did he mean by that?