19

Phil's POV

It had been 4 hours of me being stuck in the waiting room when a doctor finally turned up with news about Dan.

Doctor:Anyone here for Daniel Howell?

I stood up and walked towards him with slow steps, worried about what he was going to say.

Doctor: Dan is alive. It's lucky how fast the ambulance got to him because if it had been another 10 minutes, he might have bled to death. He has a broken arm and two broken ribs but he will be okay. You can see him if you'd like?

Phil nodded and the doctor gave him the number of the room that Dan was staying in.

Phil opened the door and Dan was laying in the hospital bed, frowning up at the ceiling. Phil had never seen Dan look so sad. He also had a look of confusion, like he did so many months ago. Phil didn't say anything at first, he went and sat in the chair by Dan's hospital bed.

Phil: Don't ever do that to me again. I thought that you were going to die.

Dan: You don't get it. I was meant to die.

Phil: *confused* Did you hit your head? Everything you were saying before you passed out didn't make sense.

Dan: It made sense to me, just not you.

Phil: Would you care to explain?

Dan: It depends. Would you believe me if I told you the truth?

Phil: Of course.

Dan sighed, looking stressed. What was he about to tell me? I was slightly afraid.

Dan: Remember 2 months ago when you saw me walking around in black clothes? Then when I saw you, you said I looked like I'd seen a ghost?

Phil: Yes..?

Dan: That's because in a way, I had seen a ghost. You were the ghost. I was wearing black because in that day I went to your funeral.

Phil: My...my funeral?

Dan: This is going to sound absurd but I came back from 2017. I've travelled back in time two and a half years ago. I think it was because I had to make it up to you.

Phil: Make what up to me?

Dan: I-I killed you. Not on purpose obviously but it was my fault that you died. We were having arguments a lot because I refused to take my medication and then during an argument you left the apartment and you got hit by a car. *sighs* You didn't make it. There was bleeding in your brain and the doctors couldn't stop it. Two weeks later I went to your funeral and once I'd gone back home, I couldn't deal with it any longer. The guilt, the pain of never seeing you again just tore me apart. I-I smashed the mirror in my room and I got a piece of glass and I...I

Phil: You didn't.

Dan: I cut myself. Deep. I thought I was dead. I was so sure that I'd died. By then I opened my eyes and I was here in 2015.

Phil: I-I died?

Dan: *cries* I'm so sorry. If I could've saved you I would've but I was too far away from you when you got hit. Today I thought that if I got hit by that car, I'd die and that you would still be alive but I'm still here. I-I don't know what's going on anymore.