Solutions

Minerva was very surprised when the Slytherin was in her office at six sharp. Students didn't normally bother to be on time, especially not Slytherins, who were almost all Purebloods and considered schoolwork to be beneath them. The boy came and stood before her desk, and as he didn't show any inclination to speak, Minerva took pity on him and spoke for the both of them.

"So, lets start at the beginning, turning a matchstick into a needle..." 

*

The professor was exhausted by the time they finished, an hour and a half later. All of Snape's work was exemplary once he understood the motions. He just didn't want the objects to change, a strange little problem to have.

"I know what issue you are facing, Snape," Minerva explained. After the first month, she could never be bothered to add either Mr or Master to the start of a student's name. The boy looked vaguely interested. "You don't have any motivation to change the object. You don't want it to change."

"You can't trust things that change," the boy muttered, head turned towards the floor. If it hadn't been for the extra venom in his voice, Minerva would've thought she'd imagined it.

"But all things change, don't they, for the better?" Minerva asked, trying to understand the reasoning behind all this.

"Hmm," he replied. "All things change eventually," he added after another pause. "But it's rarely for the better."