Laughter

When Severus came to, he was in the Hospital Wing. Madam Pomfrey stood by the bed, writing down her observations on a Muggle clipboard and noticed him stirring.

"Welcome back, Mr Snape! I think we may have to allocate you your own personal bed."

"Exactly what I was thinking," he muttered and snuggled back under the duvet.

"Don't go back to sleep," the nurse admonished. "Yet," she amended when he gave her a long-suffering look. "You have a concussion, as expected by the wound you had on your temple and were found in an abandoned corridor. What happened, Mr Snape?"

"I don't - remember," Severus replied slowly, thinking hard. He could recall being hit, the feeling of sticky blood beneath his fingers, laughing... "I didn't do it to myself." He felt this needed to be said.

"Of course not," Poppy smiled. "That kind of wound couldn't be self-inflicted. I'll leave you to reminisce on it."

Severus sunk back among the covers, a scowl etched on his face even as he fell back asleep.

*

"Mr Snape, have you remembered?"

This time it was Professor McGonagall interrogating him. It happened to be the strict woman that had found him, and she strongly suspected his enemies in her own house.

"No," Severus mumbled sleepily. "Probably never will..."

He turned over, preparing to go back to sleep, when a hand stopped him.

"We have to know," she insisted. "There should be justice."

"But I can't remember," he said fiercely. "And nobody cares anyway."

He thought she'd gone away and he closed his eyes, sinking back into hazy oblivion...

Severus thought he heard a whisper.

"I care."

*

Professor Dumbledore was the last of the trio to question him.

"Do you know who it was?" He asked unconcernedly as he sucked a lemon drop.

"No, I don't," he glared at the elderly man and Minerva hovering behind him.

Severus had now spent almost his entire day sleeping and wanted to leave, desperately.

"Can I go now?" He asked wildly. "Madam Pomfrey?"

Poppy bustled over and checked his eyes .

"I don't see why not," she said. "I would have liked to keep in you a bit longer but as you seem so insistent on leaving, I can't very well keep you here." She gave him a sharp look.

He walked to the door and opened it. The sound of laughter reached his ears, very distinctive, disturbing laughter. The strange barking of Sirius Black. He turned back.

"By the way, it was James Potter, Sirius Black and Peter Pettigrew," Severus called. "Thought you ought to know."

And then he left.

*****

A.N. 'Thought you ought to know' is obviously from Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone when Quirrell faints at Halloween.

Thank you for reading and please comment!