Watching the cogs turn

Minerva McGonagall had been tutoring Severus Snape for two months now, and she was no closer to finding out why he acted. Why did he hate the metamorphosis of objects? Or maybe it was people. Her belief that he disliked social interaction was strengthened when he was the first name on her list for students staying at school over Christmas.

*

"Yes, Snape?" She had asked, tiredly, as he came up to her after a lesson.

"I want to sign up for staying at Hogwarts," Severus replied, politely as usual.

"Why?" She questioned, concerned.

Snape smirked slightly, a strange expression on his young face. "I'm not wanted anywhere else." And he left the room before she had time to reply.

*

This time, Minerva went to Albus. She was worried, and yes, it was about a Slytherin. However, to Minerva's surprise she was not the only one concerned by him.

"Yes, Horace has already been round to complain," Albus said, looking through his notes, "and Filius has wandered in to ask if he can be moved up a few years."

"Horace has complained?" Minerva asked, incredulous. "Whatever for?"

"According to Horace," Albus sighed heavily, "our young Mr. Snape is only getting good marks because he is sat beside an especially talented Muggleborn Gryffindor named Lily Evans."

"I'll speak to Miss Evans," Minerva promised.

"And I'll attempt to speak to Horace," Albus mused. "It may be a wasted effort, though."

"Yes," Minerva replied. "I suspect it shall be."