Be Wary of the Werewolf

*IMPLIED VIOLENCE*

Severus was irritated. No, he was outraged. Dumbledore had hired that werewolf, Lupin, without even telling him.

"Why should I, Severus?" The aged headmaster had been cold. "I am in charge of this school. I make the decisions. You have no say in the matter. Forget about your petty feud - Remus Lupin is a good man."

"Have you forgotten what his 'friends' did to me?" Severus retorted angrily. "I was almost mauled to death by his bloody werewolf counterpart and you push that tiny, insignificant fact aside?"

"Calm down, Severus," Dumbledore replied, eyes flashing. "That was over twenty years ago. Move on!"

Severus was taken aback and hurt. He left the fool's study without another word and hurried back to his own blissfully empty quarters. Only, they weren't empty.

*

Minerva had taken the only seat in Severus' cramped office. If she leant back, her head came into contact with a shelf, and if she leant forwards she would hit a cabinet of fragile poison vials. Bookcases suffocated each wall, and the air was musty with the scent of ancient books. She was almost relieved when another living being walked in, that being Severus.

"Ah, Severus," she sighed, relaxing. He had entered at a bit of a run, which suggested that he was either angry, or upset. Possibly both. "What has Albus done now?"

"Do you know who the new DADA professor is?" He questioned furiously.

"N-no," she stuttered, afraid.

"Remus-the-werewolf-Lupin!"

"Oh." She could well understand the young man's anger.

"'Oh' indeed. He-who-must-be-great. Don't you think it's a coincidence - Black has escaped from Azkaban and wants to enter Hogwarts to find Potter, and Lupin so happens to be teaching this year as well?"

Minerva sighed. "I don't know, Severus. We can't assume anything. But, believe me, I'll have my eye on him as much as you."

"Very well," Severus acquiesced. "What did you want to talk about? I trust there was a reason you were waiting for me?"

"It's nothing, Severus. Nothing that a drop of wine wouldn't solve."

"I should have guessed," Severus shook his head. "Here was I thinking you had a genuine problem, and all you wanted was to be sociable and use up all my wine."

"Right you are," Minerva beamed and conjured up two glasses. Severus' sincere smile could be seen in the reflection of the sparkling glass.

*

"Why did you want to see us, Headmaster?" Severus asked, pulling his long black cloak tighter round himself. It was barely dawn and Dumbledore had requested the appearance of every professor outside on the front lawn.

"I wanted to see you because of this." The aged wizard swept a hand at the sky beyond. Dark figures could be seen up ahead; cloaks flapping, skeletal hands reaching forwards...

Severus collapsed, mind filling with horrendous images. His mother, hanging from the ceiling; his father staring, unseeing, up at the darkening sky; Lily's green eyes closing for the last time... He screamed in the agony of it. Icy cold sunk into his skin. The flying figures were getting closer...

"Minerva!" Albus shouted. "Get him inside!"

The elderly witch attempted to lift the frail young man and half-lifted, half-dragged him towards the open doors. The dementors were getting closer. 

Suddenly, another young man appeared: his hair tousled, scars crisscrossing his face. Even as a dementor descended from the sky and approached the fallen Severus and Minerva, he pulled out his wand and pointed it at the fearsome creature.

"EXPECTO PATRONUM!"

There was a brilliant white flash of light and then there were none.

*****

A.N. Originally, I thought I would do one chapter for each of Harry's years that Severus teaches in. But, there may be a bit too much content. There will be a Part 2 for Remus' year as DADA professor.

Thank you for reading and PLEASE COMMENT!!!!! :)