Talks will cease, and now, they have

The end was near, Severus could sense it. It was the 2nd of May, 1998, and today, the world as they knew it would end. Either the Dark Lord would be vanquished, or He would reign eternally as a murdering dictator. Either way, it was time for Severus to go quietly.

He took a step back when the battle started. He would not be forced to show his true allegiance. Not yet. Instead, he helped the Order when he could, discreetly, and even, although he did not know it at the time (and never would), prolonged the life of a valuable friend.

Remus had been foolhardy, reckless. He had been casting charm after curse after hex in order to keep his wife, Nymphadora, safe, and he had been so busy that he'd ignored the Death Eater creeping up behind him.

Severus had not saved the werewolf heroically. He had not gone in guns blazing, as either Potter would have done. He did not twirl his wand as the idiot Black had. And he certainly didn't do it in the hopes of recognition. Severus Snape had simply, very simply, stood behind this particular Death Eater, under the cover of darkness, and cast the Killing Curse. 

The Death Eater had crumpled with a mundane finality, and Severus considered his vow to Lupin fulfilled. They'd saved each other's lives and, with that, Severus could attend to Lord Voldemort feeling as if he'd finally done what he needed to.

*

Lord Voldemort was calm when Severus entered the Shrieking Shack, but Severus of all people knew that the peaceful aura exuded from the wizard was a deception. Tom Riddle was seething and his anger would most likely be taken out on the unfortunate headmaster.

"I think I have the answer."

Severus had stayed mostly silent whilst Voldemort contemplated the disobedience of the Elder Wand.

"Perhaps you already know it? You are a clever man, after all, Severus. You have been a good and faithful servant, and I regret what must happen."

"My lord_"

But the Potion Master's plea was not in true desperation. He had known for a while that when Voldemort came to Hogwarts, he would bring Death to Severus.

"The Elder Wand cannot serve me properly, Severus, because I am not its true master." He knew that anyway. He had got the confession out of Draco long ago, of Potter disarming him of his wand. "The Elder Wand belongs to the wizard who killed its last owner. You killed Albus Dumbledore. While you live, Severus, the Elder Wand cannot be truly mine."

"My Lord!" He protested, feebly raising his wand. The act must go on until the very end.

"It cannot be any other way," Voldemort continued. "I must master the wand, Severus. Master the wand, and I master Potter at last."

Severus saw the swipe of a wand, heard the hiss of Parseltongue, and felt the brutal jaws of Nagini encase his head and shoulders. He fought unconsciously to get the great beast's body off him, but it was a battle in vain, that Severus had known he could never win.

"I regret it," came the cold voice again.

Severus wasn't even sure he could feel the pain; everything was so cold, and blurred. It reminded him, for a strange instant, of a time long ago when Petunia Dursley had comforted him  whilst he'd been in the throes of a panic attack, outside in the freezing temperatures of the Evans' front garden. She'd been Petunia Evans then, but the sentiment was the same.