Spilled Beans

Severus Snape did not know what was going on half the time at Hogwarts. He really didn't. He made a fervent effort to stop all attempts made by the Carrows to physically harm the children, and managed to act like an egotistical, self-centred bastard at the same time.

He ignored the other professors, of course, as was his want. It meant that he could avoid the accusing gazes, and the jibes disguised as pleasant comments. Severus hated school. He really did.

But eventually, as Severus could have guessed if he hadn't been so caught up in his thoughts, Minerva confronted him. It was during the Easter holidays, and neither the students, nor many of the teachers, were around to witness their conversation. Minerva waited for the Headmaster in his own office, having been grudgingly accepted inside by the surly gargoyle. She sat in a seat opposite Dumbledore's portrait, and watched his slumbering form. She couldn't understand why Severus had killed the gentle fool. She really couldn't.

Suddenly there came the quiet sound of the door opening, and Minerva heard soft footsteps halt at the sight of her seated figure.

"Professor McGonagall," Severus Snape said deferentially. When the Transfiguration professor turned, the young man had his head bowed, waves of black hair curtained to provide a divide between the two teachers.

"Severus," Minerva sighed, "you know I told you to call me Minerva eons ago."

Minerva noticed a slight shudder pass through his body. When he finally looked up, his eyes were entirely devoid of emotion.

"I remember," he said, and despite the quiescence of his tone, it still came across as icy.

"Then surely you recall the time when you told me that I'd find out the truth about you one day. The whole truth."

"I do."

"So tell me."

"It's not that simple," Snape muttered. 

Minerva's eyes flashed with anger. She raised her hands in exasperation and Severus flinched at the action. But she didn't apologise. This time she needed the right answer.

"Then why is it not that simple?" Her voice was raised, and he winced. She doubted that he had entered into many conversations since the start of the year.

"Because it isn't, Minerva," came a voice, old and wise, "and if you'd calm down, the boy will explain why, if he so wishes."

*

Severus' voice was weak, but steady, as he spoke. The late Professor Dumbledore looked on with pride and concern in his eyes.

"When, in my dark time of solitude, I chose the Death Eaters over the light, I immediately wanted out. The Dark Lord's forces were committing heinous crimes. I asked Albus something." 

Here he paused. Minerva got the feeling that this was something that had only ever been spoken of inside these four walls. 

"I asked him to keep Lily Potter safe. When questioned about the father and son, I told him to hide them all." Minerva gasped. "Obviously, James and Lily died. That is why I was near comatose for almost a month. But I was bound to my promise. I had to protect their son, even if I believed that the Dark Lord was gone.

"However, the Dark Lord returned. I became what I had been fourteen years previously. I was, once again, a spy for the light, and a spy for the dark. I have been feeding Him false information, and certain tidbits to buy time. I have given Potter clues. He can be defeated, and unfortunately_" here he glared at the portrait, "_ the boy is the only one who can do that."

"And how does Harry do that?" Minerva questioned, heart in her mouth.

Severus sighed.

"As per Albus' not-so-brilliant suggestion, Potter must sacrifice himself to the cause to destroy the Dark Lord."

Minerva gasped.

"No, NO, we can't let that happen! Albus!" Minerva was aghast. Tears threatening to cascade down her anguished face.

"It is the only way," the portrait said heavily.

Severus looked away briefly, to grant the woman some privacy. When he met Minerva's gaze again, she was yet again stoic, and her eyes, though watery, remained unemotional.

"You once wondered, I'm sure," the current Headmaster began hesitantly, "why I chose you to be my confidante all those years ago." Minerva nodded, her only expression of fear. "I chose you, because I recognised a maternal instinct." Here he took a breath. "Poppy has a duty to her patients. That duty would then insist on her informing Albus. Her concern, while genuine, would be professional. Albus did not sympathise with me for quite some time. He was never an option. However, you were kind, and teachers, as I know, are not always obliged to be kind.

"This is why you must allow the boy to do what he must do," Severus finished, casting his eyes elsewhere. "He is being selfless_ kind, a trait you undoubtedly recognise."

Minerva was stunned by his coolness.

"How dare you!" She exclaimed. "How can you not care?" 

And she stormed out of the room in a fury.

Severus remained where he was, although his hand reached out to give him the steady support of the nearby desk.

"I cannot care," he whispered. "I never have, and I never will. Occlumency forced me to leave affection behind a long time ago. But I will remember you, Minerva McGonagall, as the woman who saved me, because this is the last time we shall talk. Truthfully, at the very least."

*****

A.N. And there is the penultimate chapter! This one tied up one loose end; why Minerva was chosen from the beginning, and the final chapter will tie up one/two others, that have, most likely, been forgotten.

Oh, and I know the title is random, like all the others, but it does make sense, I think. 

Severus still talks, but to Minerva, no more.

This chapter is dedicated to CharaXFNAF for their ever-continuing support, their votes and hilarious comments. I'm sure, if you go and follow them, they'll do the same for your stories!

Thank you for reading, and PLEASE COMMENT as per usual! :)