Fear

Once Severus was carefully settled in a hospital bed, the three adults gathered round speculatively. Out of the three of them, only Albus had ever seen an Obscurus before, when visiting Newton Scamander, his former pupil, in Sudan.

"What do we do?" Asked Minerva first. "An Obscurial, in a school. It's not safe."

"But he deserves his chance at life," argued Poppy. "We gave Remus Lupin a chance."

"He simply needs to be kept... agreeable," Albus said tentatively. Both women were known to be protective, especially of their children.

"Yes," Poppy sighed. She could hardly deny that fact.

"And no-one can know," spoke Albus solemnly.

Minerva nodded. "Very well."

*

Severus awoke several days later, confused and disorientated. He couldn't remember what had happened - his mind was fuzzy with images of no particular order. He was relieved to see that out of the three interfering adults, only Madam Pomfrey was there, and she acted as though nothing had happened. They had decided it was better for Severus, to determine whether he could recall the events of that night.

"Madam Pomfrey?" He asked, and then coughed because his throat was sore. "How did I get here?" Nobody could deny that the boy was sharp.

"You fainted, dear boy," the matron said kindly, folding up the blankets on the next bed. "We brought you here."

"Who's we?" Severus inquired distrustfully.

"Professor McGonagall, Professor Dumbledore and I," the woman said, retreating back into her office, fearful of a second explosion.

Severus' memories returned in an instant. He jumped out of bed just as Horace Slughorn waddled through the door.

"Ah, Mr Snape," the professor disdainfully. "I came here to look for you. You are meant to return to your dormitories at night."

"I was here," said Severus fearfully. He edged towards the wall.

"Why, boy?" Hissed Slughorn. "Why were you here?"

"I can't_ can't tell you!" Severus' voice was rising in pitch. "Don't hurt me!" Images were appearing in his head; images of his father doing the same things this bully was doing; hurting him, hurting him, always hurting...

"I will do what I please!" Roared the Potions Master and his hands closed around the young boy's throat.

"Horace!" Professor Dumbledore had entered the Hospital Wing. "Stop!" Bright red light shone from his outstretched palm and hit Slughorn in the back. The large wizard slumped to the ground, out cold.

Albus rushed to the trembling boy.

"Oh Severus," he whispered, enveloping the Slytherin in a tight embrace. "Shh, Severus, shh."

He heard Poppy's gasp as she re-entered the Hospital Wing and felt the boy shake even more.

"He shall go, Severus," Albus promised soothingly. "He shall never hurt you again." And as he said the last word, his voice broke, along with his heart and he resolved to take much better care of the vulnerable child in future.

*****

A.N. Thank you for reading, and PLEASE COMMENT!!