The Rise

To say that Severus was apprehensive would be an understatement. He was petrified. Today, he would be facing the entire staff of Hogwarts with Alecto and Amycus Carrow by his side, as Headmaster. The thought alone was mind-boggling.

Severus knew he hadn't been a good teacher. Admittedly, students had always got the highest marks in Potions compared to other subjects but that was because he had had no tolerance for tomfoolery of any kind. However, he'd bullied his pupils. He'd praised Slytherins to stay in favour with all his old Death Eater friends, and he'd mocked Gryffindor to ensure the continuation of his lifespan before the Dark Lord.

To be fair, Severus had had a lot going on. He'd been a double agent for years now, even with his guardian and sole protector dead by his hand. He'd been brewing for the Order, the Ministry, and the Hospital Wing for almost as long as he'd been a spy. He'd been an active part of both the Order and the Death Eaters. He'd been, for a time, right-hand man to Albus Dumbledore and Lord Voldemort. These things did take a toll.

On the other hand, though, it seemed incredulous to believe that people were going to sit back and allow him to run one of the best magical schools in the world. Severus knew that the Ministry was corrupt, and that parents were frightened. But, surely there would be someone who would take a stand? He wasn't sure he wanted this job, at all.

The main reason was Minerva. She had been deputy headmistress for decades, and many would have expected her to take over. In addition, Severus had never told her everything, and considering he hadn't seen her after killing Dumbledore, he dreaded the reaction there would be.

There was also the other teachers. Pomona, Filius, Poppy, Aurora, they wouldn't have expected this. He would be alone against a mob of furious professors. Another thing he wasn't looking forward to.

*

It was a Monday morning in August. Bright, sunny, the opposite to Severus' mood. In the distance he could see his former friends lined up on the stone steps, awaiting his, and the Carrows', approach.

"Headmaster," Minerva greeted coldly once the three were before her.

"Professor," Severus acknowledged, but when she looked closely, she could see that he wasn't meeting her eyes, and was in fact staring just over her shoulder.

He moved on to speak to the rest, but his tone was indifferent and neither side was particularly polite to the other.

Minerva was seething, Pomona was anguished, Filius looked calm but wasn't, and Horace appeared nervous. Hagrid had a trembling hand on Fang's collar, Trelawney was shivering, and Aurora looked bitter. Even the Carrows seemed awed by their new master. Severus was the only one with his emotions in order, although, behind Occlumency walls, they were simmering in turmoil.

Severus turned on his heel once through with pointless introductions and entered through the oak doors, pleased to hear the professors following his lead. He turned into the Great Hall and paused, staring up at the great golden throne. His breath caught in his throat, and an indecipherable expression crossed his face. 

"Move it," he said quietly, so quietly that no-one heard him.

"Sir?" Amycus stepped forward.

"I said, 'move it'!" He barked.

"Move what?" Alecto asked, confusion filling her ugly face.

"Get that throne out of my sight!"

His last snap preceded Headmaster Snape's sudden disappearance as he Apparated away with a swish of his cloak.

*****

A.N. Fyi, in all my works, Severus is able to Apparate in Hogwarts, for three simple reasons:

* He's powerful

* It's me

* He's Severus

Minerva will make an active appearance in the next chapter, don't worry!

Thank you for reading the third-last chapter of Severus Talks! PLEASE COMMENT!