Tedious Teaching

ELEVEN YEARS LATER

Severus sat beside Minerva in the Great Hall. It was the 1st of September, 1990. James and Lily Potter's son was about to be sorted, along with his own godson, Draco. Minerva noticed him tense.

"Hoping for two new Slytherins?" She teased.

"No," he replied seriously. "One perhaps, but Draco is also exceedingly bright. And Potter - I'm thinking Gryffindor, Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw. And I'd prefer the latter."

"Can't take a famous Hufflepuff?" Pomona questioned from down the table. "Oh, if we had Diggory AND Potter - people would finally take notice of boring old Hufflepuff."

"They already do," Minerva said kindly.

"And at least it doesn't have a dark reputation," Severus added, scowling.

Minerva patted him on the back in commiseration.

"There, there," she spoke lightly. "Look on the bright side."

"Which is?"

"Quirrell won't make it to next year. Maybe you could take the DADA post."

"Not if Dumbledore has anything to do with it," Severus said darkly, glowering at the assembled first-years.

"Anyway, showtime!"

*

"Worried about Quidditch, Severus?" Minerva asked gleefully as they walked side-by-side down a corridor. The year was dribbling along tantalisingly slowly, and it was only the first match of the season. Severus had marking he could be getting on with, but Minerva thought it was the perfect time to bother him and start up a conversation.

"Why should I be?" He responded neutrally.

"We have a better Seeker, for one," Minerva stated.

"And we have a better overall team."

"Do not!"

"Do too!"

Do not!"

"Stop being petulant, Minnie."

"Who are you calling childish, Sev?"

Severus pouted, making Minerva laugh.

"Ah, I'm glad you can still have fun, Severus."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Severus inquired, a frown furrowing his forehead.

"It means that you've had a hard life and you're only at the start of it. Don't ever lose the naïvety of a good time."

*

"I heard you were the one to 'subdue' Quirrell."

She'd found him outside by the Whomping Willow. There'd been few precious hours since Potter and his dedicated friends had gone after 'Snape' and the Philosopher's Stone, and Severus had gone for a walk (a lengthy three hour walk) around the grounds to avoid Dumbledore and clear his head of the image of his former colleague.

"You heard right."

Severus had his head bowed, eyes staring past the iridescent flowers and the lush green grass. She stood metres away, face filled with sadness, although he couldn't see it.

"He had to be stopped. You-Know-Who, I mean. And it put poor Quirinus out of his misery."

"Fine."

Severus walked a little distance away, arms crossed, his black robes folded tightly around him.

"Severus?" She called.

"Yes?"

"Remember, I'm always here. Don't ever forget to undo the stopper."

Even from where she stood she saw a glimmer of a smile on his face and knew he'd understood the reference.

*

"I hate teaching!"

Over a decade in a job you hated did this to a man. Even if it was the last day of school, and immature, eleven year-old Potter would be safely ensconced with the Dursleys after the next twenty-four hours.

"I thought you might." Her tone was sympathetic. "You had it in you to become a really brilliant alchemist."

They sat in Minerva's office, both in overstuffed armchairs before the cold, looming fireplace. It was hot, even for July, and Severus had decided, after a while, that he needed a bit of end-of-term companionship.

He snorted. "An Outstanding in most exams will never get you your chosen career path. I knew that as soon as I saw the parchment."

"You received the highest grades for the most OWLs and NEWTs combined in a decade," Minerva stated. "I think that could have gotten you a pretty amazing apprenticeship with any available Potions Master."

"You don't understand."

"Then help me to."

"I can't leave. Albus' rules." Severus hated lying to her, but it was for her own safety.

"Break his rules. When have you ever cared about following them?" Her tone was light, airy. His did not match hers.

"Since I got 'mixed up' with the wrong crowd and was almost incarcerated in Azkaban for the entirety of my adult life."

"Well, then." Her voice was fainter now. "Maybe stick to them for now. That'd be best."

"Agreed."

*****

A.N. What's the general consensus on the time skips? Do I need to say when I'm about to do one? Let me know!

Thank you for reading and please comment!!!!! :)