A Watchful Eye

Albus kept his eye on the young Slytherin over the Christmas holidays. That is to say, when he saw the boy. He noted that Snape infrequently attended breakfast, grabbed a simple sandwich for lunch, and often missed dinner. 

Was there something wrong with the food? It seemed adequate enough to Albus. He decided that the best cause of action was to investigate for now, and then pounce when the time was right.

*

Severus knew that the headmaster was stalking him. Personally, he thought that even Avery's Disillusionment Charm would be better than Professor Dumbledore's. And the footsteps. 

The professor didn't even muffle his feet and took to breathing loudly as he followed Severus from the seventh floor down to the dungeons. The man could seriously use some exercise.

*

Christmas Day was on them before they knew it. Severus had had Christmas explained to him many years ago, by Lily, as some sort of religious festival*, however, now he would see it in action. 

All students were required to attend the Christmas Lunch, an event Severus would have been happy to forgo. He suspected Dumbledore's hand in the matter.

He made sure to be the last in to the Great Hall, just to spite the students and professors alike sat there, impatiently waiting for his arrival. To his immense displeasure, he found that the only available seat was one between Professor Dumbledore, his stalker, and Professor Slughorn, his nemesis. 

Things couldn't have been worse. It dawned on Severus that he would be forced to make polite conversation.

"Good evening, Severus," Dumbledore greeted brightly. 

He was wearing what could only be called a carpet. It was a long thick robe made of some kind of wool, the colour of blood and it had streaks of ghastly butter yellow. Severus took in the sight and promptly looked away. It was positively garish.

"Good evening, Headmaster," he replied at long last. 

The feast could finally start. Severus watched as the other remaining students, two Ravenclaws, four Hufflepuffs and a Gryffindor began fervently helping themselves. Suddenly a plate-bearing Dumbledore appeared in his vision.

"Merry Christmas, Severus!" The codger beamed.

"Merry Whatever, Professor," Severus rolled his eyes and took the overloaded plate cautiously. 

What was this food?

There was thinly sliced pink meat, roasted potatoes, a red vegetable-like substance, large grey balls of what looked to be black pepper, more vegetable-looking edibles and a golden bowl-shaped construction. Severus enjoyed the golden bowl and the red vegetable thing, however the meat was dry, the potatoes were incredibly salty, and the grey balls made Severus choke. 

Dumbledore patted him on the back cheerfully as his eyes watered from deoxygenation. 

"More, Severus?"

"I'd rather not," Severus replied bluntly.

Slughorn glared at Severus. 

"You will eat more," he said, fixing the boy with a beady eye. "You're far too thin. Pass the plate here, Albus, I'll get him some more." 

He said this all with an open mouth, and the very sight made his stomach churn, even more than it had been before ingesting the dreadful food.

"No, please, no." 

To Albus, it sounded like the boy was begging.

Slughorn put another loaded plate before Severus. Severus jerked away this time, the sight of more food sickening him. 

"No, no," he gibbered. "No, I can't."

Slughorn leaned close to Severus, so that only he heard what the Potions Master said next.

"You can, and you will," he threatened, spittle flying from his mouth. "Or I shall personally ensure your life is a living hell."

"It already is!" Severus retorted forcefully, loud enough that the three nearest adults, Dumbledore, McGonagall and Madam Pomfrey glanced up in surprise. 

The other students continued munching away, happily oblivious.

"It will be even more of one," Slughorn hissed lowly, trying to appear intimidating. Severus wasn't frightened, however much this walrus-looking professor reminded him of his father, but was beginning to get a terrible headache. "Now, eat!"

Severus looked down at the plate of food. It zoned in and out of his eye-line. He turned to the side to ask Dumbledore just what kind of prank he was playing with the food when the floor came rushing up to meet him and everything went black.

*****

A.N.

* I've taken this from my other fanfic, Always. I have not published this part yet. In Always, I also have a cute scene with Dumbledore and Christmas crackers but I didn't think it was right for this. Hope you enjoyed! And read my other fanfics!