Chapter 16: Yinri vs. Todoroki

Before the next round of matches started, Yinri went to the prep room to prepare for the fight to come. After she did her routine stretches and such, she picked up her phone.

*No new text notification*

She decided to call Azusa again, but in the case she didn't answer, she'd leave a voicemail. The phone rang several times, but no dice. Yinri couldn't help but to feel like something was wrong.

"Hey, Azusa, just checking in to see how everything's going. You haven't responded to my last text so I thought I'd try to call you again. My next match is about to start and I'm pretty nervous. I'm a little more on edge since you're not answering your phone, but I hope you're alright. Anyways, wish me luck on the next match... I'll need it."

*click*

She put her phone back down, nerves encased throughout her entire body, but she wasn't sure if it was because of the match or if it was because of Azusa. Either way, a showdown is about to take place.

The two competitors strolled onto the field and into the ring, everyone was cheering with excitement and vigor. Yinri hung her head down, almost as if she was sulking.

"THIS IS GOING TO BE AN EXCITING MATCH LADIES AND GENTS!!! HE'S NOT ONE TO BE MESSED WITH, AND HE'S DONE EXCELLENT IN THE COMPETITION SO FAR, IT'S SHOTO TODOROKI!!! VERSUS, THE GIRL WHO'S BATTLED WITH ONE ARM AND MADE IT SEEM SO EASY, YINRI ELRILA!!!"

I hope Azusa's okay... but why do I feel sick to my stomach? I don't have a good feeling about this.

"ARE YA READY?!?"

Please... please be okay.

"BEGIN!"

Why do I feel so nauseous?!?

Before Yinri could think, Todoroki blasted his ice her way, and hit her dead on. Some people gasped while others were shocked. She fell to the ground, but wasn't out of bounds. Shit! I need to focus here, I have to focus!

"What's this?! Not even a minute into the match and Yinri's already on the ground!!!" Present Mic shouted.

Yinri powered up her right hand while Todoroki set off another ice blast towards her, she let fire spew out of her hand, but it burned more than usual. The ice melted gradually, but Todoroki kept pushing the limits. Yinri had to come up with a different strategy. Ugh, why can't I think straight?! Why can't I think of a strategy?!?

She changed trajectories, switching over to an earth attack. She swished up a wall and held it in front of her. She then changed her stances even more, which was quite odd for someone like her. Typically, she has a plan right at the get go of a battle or a problem, but right now, she can't think of anything, and her attacks are getting real messy and unorthodox. Yinri brought down her earth wall and used the wind to speed towards Todoroki, kicking him in the chest and making him fall to the ground. He stood back up, it seemed like that didn't even phase him. Something was telling Yinri to use her full demonic power, but she resisted. All she could do was use 15% of it, by placing it in her arm and feet. As soon as she did, though, her right leg gave out on her somehow.

Shit, did I use too much power already?!? No, I don't think so, it may be the effects from the USJ, but I can't be for certain. I'll have to just pretend I'm fine and stand up.

She stood up, a voice popped in her head, "Do your best! I'm always rooting for you!" It was Azusa.

Yinri's eyes widened. Tears were beginning to form in her eyes, she didn't know why. Before the Sports Festival, that's what Azusa said to Yinri on their last phone call. Why am I crying???? What is going on?!?

She let her guard down again, Todoroki led to close range combat and he froze her right hand and right leg. She struggled to get out, but her flames went off on their own and set her free.

"...I'm not done yet!" She charged at Todoroki with full force, a memory flashed in her head.

*The phone call before the Sports Festival*

"I'm so excited to see you on TV, Yinri! You're gonna do amazing!" Azusa cheered for her big sister.

"I'm a bit nervous..." Yinri responded, laying on her warm bed, "But I guess I should try and be excited."

"What about your left arm? How are you gonna pull that off?" Azusa asked curiously.

"I won't be able to use it, but I've been training more to help my right hand and found more ways to use my power however I can."

"Just... don't overdo it again, okay? You worry me so much sometimes... actually all the time." Azusa laughed.

Yinri chuckled, "I won't, I don't want to worry anyone."

*knock knock*

Izuku peaked his head in the room, "Yinri, suppers about ready."

She glanced at him and turned back to her phone, "Alright, I'll be out in a sec."

"Who's that? Who's that?!?" Azusa shouted.

"It's Izuku, Azusa."

"Tell him I said hi!"

"Okay, I will." She smiled.

"You better get going, I want you to eat a good meal before bed!" Azusa demanded.

"Alright, mom! Don't worry, I will. I'll talk to you later."

"Do your best out there! I'll always be rooting for you! Bye!!!"

*Back to the present*

Yinri stopped in her tracks, inches away from Todoroki, she couldn't react in time before he blasted another ice blast her way, this time sending her out of bounds and hitting the wall behind her.

"Yinri is out of bounds, Todoroki moves on to the final match!"

Yinri reverted back to her normal form, receding the demonic hand and feet. She could barely stand up, the recovery robots made their way towards her. She pushed them out of the way, "I don't need assistance, I'm fine."

She stood up and walked out of the arena, anxiously strolling back to her waiting room. She opened the door to see another person preparing for their battle, he heard the door open and turned to look, "Eh?!? What are you doing here, Snow White?!?"

Yinri glared and the boy, "This is my waiting room, too, idiot. I just came to check my phone, and I'll be out of your way." He scoffed, and continued preparing. She grabbed her phone.

*No new text notification*

She called again, but there was still no answer. Yinri wanted to scream and cry, but she kept her cool as much as she could, she decided to leave another message, "I was just calling to say that I didn't make it to the top 2. I'm pretty disappointed in myself, considering I couldn't concentrate out there. I'm a bit worried that you're still not answering your phone. I'm going to visit you guys after the festival, if that's alright, just to make sure everything's okay. Anyways... I guess I'll talk to you later?"

*click*

She stared at her phone, and gripped it tightly, "Why aren't you answering, you dummy?" She sighed, and placed her phone in her pocket. She was about to walk out the door before a voice stopped her, "Hey, let me ask you something." He said.

She turned around, facing the ash blonde boy, "Why were your attacks all over the place during your match?"

Yinri knew what he meant, but didn't know what to say, he continued on with his question, "It was obvious you weren't focused on winning."

She glared harshly at him, "Why wouldn't I be focused on winning?"

He mocked her, "If you really wanted to win, you would've put your mind to it and left everything else behind."

She turned to leave the room, agitated by his statement, she furrowed her brows, "You know nothing of it, Bakugo."

Leaving the room with an inducing amount of annoyance, she couldn't stop worrying about Azusa. If something happened to her... I don't know if I can forgive myself.