prologue ext. ✩ compromise

"He was the thesis of her prayers."
prologue extended ✧ 𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒑𝒓𝒐𝒎𝒊𝒔𝒆

"Hvitserk!"

Nero's giggle was the type of rare sound to be cherished.

His hands tightened around her waist, bringing her attempts of scaping to an end. It was for the best that the youngest Ragnarsson was asleep instead of looking at the interactions between his brother and his childhood crush.

He had grown close to the girl, especially since she was the only person in Kattegat who was not afraid of him in the slightest.

The only person in Kattegat who had nothing to fear.

Ubbe and Sigurd watched the two. Enjoying how they were spinning around carelessly. Their light eyes reflected the greenness of the breathtaking landscape around them.

Ubbe questioned how his brother and his friend managed to muster the energy to play after such a long, hunting day.

And Sigurd, well, Sigurd's mind was elsewhere.

He couldn't help but feel a bit... jealous. The boys were just then discovering the wonders of women, and Nero, being the closest one to them, would obviously be the apple of their eyes.

"Prince! Let me down, will you?"

Yet Ivar, Sigurd, and Hvitserk knew they couldn't marry her. She was no lady for them to marry. She was a warrior. A shieldmaiden.

The scar that ran through her left eyebrow made sure to remind them of such, even if it only accentuated her wild, untamed beauty.

"The wolf flies," Vit chuckled, spinning around on his heels as the girl tried to find a comfortable position over his shoulder.

Moments like those were rare for warriors like them.

It wasn't often that they were allowed to have their guards down and act childish, but in truth, those were the moments she loved most. Especially when they were shared with Hvitserk.

Suddenly his movements came to a halt. His body tensed up and she instantly quit thrashing against his hold, noticing his change in demeanor.

His eyes fixed on the figure trailing down the mountain. Confusion crossed his features as he noticed Ironside, whose face was devoid of any emotion.

Ubbe noticed their oldest brother as well, furrowing his eyebrows, "Ivar, wake up, Björn is here."

The girl absolutely beamed and smiled even bigger once she heard the name of her war mate.

She eagerly patted Vit's back and he gladly let her down, still wondering the reason behind Björn's approach. The hunting grounds weren't quite near the town, it was undeniable that something important had happened, "Bear!"

"Hello, wolf," he gave the girl a toothless grin as she ran to him, hugging his waist.

The older boy shuffled his friend's hair, some of his worry dissipating at the sight of his family and his expression becoming slightly softer.

Once he settled on the small camp, his features became serious, Nero, noticing that, decided to remain quiet. She knew better than to interfere in the conversation that was about to happen.

Goosebumps trailed her exposed arms and neck, and she cursed the cold. The girl rounded the fenced area and gave up on finding comfort, defeated, she looked for warmth and sat by Ivar, looking up at him with pleading eyes. He was still sleepy, but he smiled nevertheless, understanding what she was silently asking for.