✩ chapter VIII, act II ✩

"We wear our traumas like the guillotine wears gravity. Our lovers' necks are so soft."
chapter VIII, act II  𝒏𝒐 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒕𝒔

Nero held an apple on her hand, chewing on it quietly as she leaned on the pole holding the makeshift shops together. Her left leg leaned on her right as she watched, in amusement, her husband's doings.

It was quite a lovely and calm scene, different than their usual scenario. The redness of the apple that the girl bit onto contrasted with the darkness of her hair and the brightness of her teeth. Her eyes looked brown as they bore onto Ivar's blue ones.

Taking care of the war plans wasn't easy and it certainly took a toll on the girl, but she loved doing it, especially when she could come home to a happy Ivar.

While she worked on tactics he worked on his the mathematics behind his new metal helpers. Both of them were always exhausted when they laid on their bed at night, yet they were pleased. He caressed her hair and she kissed his cheek, they never needed many words, did they?

Soon, she felt two of her loves approaching, and held the hand, that was holding the apple, up, signaling for them to stop and watch.

They did as ordered, Ubbe leaned on her shoulder, using the girl's body to support himself as he looked, mesmerized, his crippled brother get to his feet.

Ivar's struggle was clear, and though she wanted with all her will to rush and help him, she waited until he came to her. She would never wish to hurt his pride, nor minimize his efforts.

Her face beamed with happiness, the little crush she pulled around in a cart when she was a kid was not only her husband, but was fulfilling his lifelong dream. Odin, being with this man was always amazing, was always amusing.

Ubbe was... scared. Hvitserk held on his face his usual amused puppy look, while Nero only held pride. Unfortunately for the trio, the only person whose emotions were actually spot on... were Ubbe's.

Ivar could finally walk like a 'normal man', and no one would stop him from enjoying the parts of life that he couldn't enjoy because he had spent way too much time slithering on dirty grounds.

He spent way too many nights (and days) watching his brothers do what he had always wanted to do, watching his brothers have what he always wanted to have.

He wouldn't let that be no more. He would have it all. All his impulses wished for, they would get. The leash of his disability had slightly loosened around his neck, and he would run free and wild.

Snapping him out of his thoughts, Nero grinned. She handed her apple to Hvitserk and even when though she wasn't looking at him, she knew he would still take it, he was not one to turn down food.

She skipped in front of her lover, mesmerized by the height difference as her husband stood way taller than her, the top of her head reaching his chin.

He looked down at her, grateful that for the first time he was actually looking down at his wife. Her hands trailed to his chest and she bit the insides of her cheek, no longer containing herself from asking the question that cursed her mind in the most playful way, "Do I have free access to you or are there any other metals stopping me?"

Ubbe choked at her inquiry and Hvitserk fell into a fit of laughter. Ivar smiled, but didn't answer, instead, using his free hand he gripped her face and brought it up to him, kissing her lips passionately as for the first time ever, they shared a standing kiss.

Ivar had a lot of firsts on that day.

The girl was swooning in his arms and he was grinning against her mouth at how powerful he had just become.