✩ chapter IX, final act ✩

"An eye for an eye. A knife for the ribs. It is only fair."
chapter IX, final act  𝒂𝒏 𝒆𝒚𝒆 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒂𝒏 𝒆𝒚𝒆

At the raspy sound that left her throat, one armored man ran to her, blade pointed towards the sky.

Spit fell from her mouth when she laughed at the scene. Following her instincts, she ducked and tackled the man, her knives digging into his back with her dangerous embrace as their bodies collided with the hard floor.

Two down. Five more to go.

She indeed appreciated how they were taking turns.

Nero gathered herself and managed to get on all fours, pulling her knives out of the corpse and cracking her knuckles.

Without warning, another warrior sprinted to her. Looking at him move from the corners of her eyes, the wolf picked at her nails and hurled her knife. Her precision impeccable as it found its way right in the bridge of his nose.

Three down. Four more to go.

Her head tilted up and found the glare of a man who stood just in front of her, with a sweet smile she stood up.

His eyes followed her every movement as her chest touched his. The Christians could swear her presence made the air around seem almost suffocating. They felt absolutely unable to move, fear was striking them in ways they never thought possible.

Slowly, she reached to cup his cheek, underneath the heavy, iron helmet. Odin, how she hated those things. Once her warm, bloodied hand touched his face, the man leaned into her, almost entranced by the touch. Shaking her head slowly and making a 'tsk'ing sound, she brought her other hand underneath his chin, completely digging her dagger into his head.

Four down. Three more to go.

As the corpse she held fell into her arms, she retrieved his sword. The girl swung her newly acquired weapon over her shoulder, opening one of her arms and daring the fighters to come at her.

Roaring, the biggest of the warriors charged at her. His built physique made her tremble, if he was to get the first blow, she would be done for. With a sharp intake of breath, the girl turned on her feet, her arms swinging the sword at the running man's neck as, who surprised by her move, brought down his own blade.

In the midst of all confusion and blood, Nero fell to the floor along with her enemy's head. Her arms strained of all energy as she made a clean cut through his neck.

Yet not all blood was his. In his death and shock, he lowered his weapon, striking her left outer thigh. As her knees hit the hard stone floor, the other two Christians seized the opportunity to flee.

"I'm Ivar the Boneless! You can't kill me!" her husband's voice seemed to echo in her ears. How she had missed the sound.

Her head shot up, eyes gleaming dangerously, a smirk playing on her lips as she for a brief moment forgot what he had done. In a bloodlust induced trance, she crawled to her shaking feet, using the sword that laid on the floor by her for support.

Soon after, Ubbe's warcry was heard. It was time. Ignoring the searing pain in her leg, she tried her best to run, thanking the gods for the blade to not have ended her ability to walk.

Still using her makeshift walking stick, she followed the grunts that indicated bloodshed. As soon as she turned a corner that led to the center of York, she saw the battle.

The wolf's smile widened and she skimmed through her people and her enemies until her eyes fell upon the one Christian who seemed to fight more fiercely than all others. Athelwulf wasn't the leader.