✩ chapter I, act III ✩

"I know you did not mean to be cruel. That does not mean you were kind."
chapter I, act III ✧ 𝒃𝒓𝒖𝒊𝒔𝒆𝒅 𝒋𝒆𝒂𝒍𝒐𝒖𝒔𝒚

"I swear on ODIN Ubbe if you throw that fish anywhere near us!" Nero screamed as the boy swung his spear around threateningly, a wicked smile on his face. The girl squealed when he tossed the fish right at her, hitting her in the stomach. She completely froze, she hated the feel of fishes, Ivar smiled at her and picked it up, throwing it inside a basket, "Oh you're dead, Ubbe."

"What are you going to do?" he questioned, raising his eyebrows. Now it was her turn to smirk at him. She didn't answer, only looked at the boy who she was leaning against, a glint of menace in her eyes, the sight made him smile once again, his blue eyes light with the morning sun.

"What are you looking at?" Ivar grinned, his arm around her as his hand gave her shoulder playful slaps, urging her to answer.

"Have I told you how magnificent your eyes look today, cripple?" she mused, staring up at him, he would never get used to her kind words, even if they came with nicknames such as that, she was raised by Floki, he couldn't expect anything else. His eyes gleamed yet he said nothing, simply kissed the top of her head.

The boy barely had any moments like these. His relationships were mainly rough and painful, but for some reason, he felt as if the girl was the only person he knew who deserved his sweetness.

While they stared into each other's eyes, the boys came out of the water, laying down next to the two so they could dry. Ivar's back hit the sand and Nero sat up, which allowed for Hvitserk to lay his head on her lap, she absentmindedly began braiding and unbraiding his hair.

Growing bored at the task, she decided that annoying him would be more amusing. Her hands slid down to his cheeks where she began squeezing them, smiling to herself at the fish who now stared up at her, a ghost of a smile on his face, "That girl?"

Hvitserk grabbed her two hands with his own, bringing them to his chest as it tensed up under Ivar's question.

Nero looked at the boy she loved, confusion crossing her features as she couldn't stop herself from allowing the words from falling out of her mouth, "Which girl, prince?"

Ubbe almost choked, much to the group's amusement, yet Ivar's face remained devoid of emotion.

When she met Vit's eyes, she giggled, he looked incredibly handsome with the boyish smile that he had splattered on his face. She almost, almost, forgot about Ivar, "That servant girl."

"Maybe," he answered, his eyes leaving hers and she smirked amused, she knew not of who they were speaking about, but she knew the conversation could derail very, very fast. Vit dropped her hands, and looked at her, almost as if worried she was mad, she carefully placed a towel under the boy's head before laying in between the two brothers she loved most.

"I can't remember her name," Ubbe mumbled, partially hoping they would drop the subject because of the presence of the beautiful girl they could all call theirs.

The wolf, realizing that she was bound to not understand the conversation, rolled onto her back before propelling herself on her elbows, closer to Hvitserk.

One of her fingers picking up a strand of his hair from the sand and twirling her fingers around it, finding another something to toy with apart from Ivar's hands.

"It's Margarethe," Sigurd replied, an amused look on his face as his eyes trailed down to Nero, her hair braided into a ponytail, a messy one that still looked beautiful, her hazel eyes glistening honey as they reflected the sand, her plump, pink lips, slightly parted with wonder, he noticed that Hvitserk was also staring at the girl, the same longing look on his face as she played with his hair, innocently.