✩ chapter II, act II ✩

"This is someone else's love story."
chapter II, act II  𝒔𝒊𝒍𝒆𝒏𝒕 𝒓𝒆𝒑𝒖𝒕𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏

"And you know what Ragnar Lothbrok?" the man threatened and Nero groaned in annoyance.

The girl had managed to avoid the entire Lothbrok family for most of the day, but it seemed that they couldn't avoid her. For the second time in that week, the girl had been trying to replace her knives, yet whenever she was just about sure she had found the perfect one, her king would intervene.

Her eyes trailed to the scene, Ragnar had a smile on his face even though his discontent was clear. She watched from a distance, trying to understand what the Odinsson would do. She wished to ask him if he had spoken to Ivar about England, "You know what?"

Nero knew not if she wanted to laugh or murder the man for his blatant disrespect.

If Floki or Ivar had been there, the man would no longer have any limbs attached to his body.

He spat on Ragnar's face, and she began walking towards him, anger flashing in her eyes, after all, he was still king, and she was much like his loyal war hound. Ragnar looked on the verge of tears as he bit back his tongue, "Thank you for your time."

"And if I had the mind to raid—"

"You men open your mouths only to regret your words," Nero snarled, punching the man square on his jaw as he fell back on his horse, holding onto it for support.

Ragnar was family, and no one messes with a wolf's family. She pulled his chin up so her eyes could meet his, she merely smiled before spitting on his face.

Her head spun with her hangover. She groaned once again. Fully giving up on her weapons, she dropped the man's furious face and went back home, deciding to rest as nights before raids were usually frantic.

Before she noticed, she was already stripping off her boots and cuddling herself in her hammock, sleep soon came to soothe her headache.

She skipped happily to the great hall, Floki and Helga following as they laughed at her. The moonlight gleamed over the building beautifully and Nero breathed out.

Both women looked at each other before stepping over the threshold, they smiled, nodding, knowing that Floki was happy because Ragnar was still in Kattegat. Because Ragnar still loved him.

"Nero!" Ubbe cheered, watching the girl walk in before his breath got caught in his throat and his eyes widened.

It was rare to see the shield-maiden in such clothes, but when she did wear proper attire, she looked like she belonged among the gods.

She smiled, rushing to the boys, and having honestly missed them after a whole day of loneliness, Sigurd stood, allowing her to sit in between him and Hvitserk, as far away as possible from Ivar and his slave.