✩ chapter VI, act II ✩

"As the fire spreads, all that's left are your bones, that will soon sink like stones."
chapter VI, act II  𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒈𝒉𝒕𝒍𝒆𝒔𝒔 𝒅𝒆𝒄𝒊𝒔𝒊𝒐𝒏𝒔

"I would like to stay." Harald promised, only then noticing just how badly the family feud could end up.

Nero stood up next to the man as his brother followed, they all looked at each other, their eyes reflecting the same desperate message: 'play along'.

Björn jumped off the princes' table, joining the standing trio. The king smiled brightly, "But I have other plans. Skoll!"

Everyone toasted to his words, knowing his other plans had very much to do with taking over Kattegat.

Halfdan nodded his head at his brother's words, "As for me..." he began and both Nero and Harald turned to face him wide-eyed. As for me? He wouldn't go back with Harald? "I want to go with Bjorn. I want to see the Mediterranean."

"For me as well. I wish to explore with Björn!" Nero's words left her mouth before she could even notice. The way Harald staring holes into Halfdan's head made the girl grow nervous, anxious.

She acted out of pure instinct simply because she had just smiled to herself believing they were inseparable and how great that must have felt like, and now it seemed very nearly over.

"Then it seems, the only thing that really kept the sons of Ragnar together was the death of their father." Björn roared, patting Nero's shoulder in approval, yet her weak legs failed to handle even the slightest of touches, and she fell slightly forward, her hand holding onto the table in front of her stiffly.

Hvitserk's eyes met Nero's only to find them filled with pain. His eyes trailed down her stomach, seeing how the bleeding had taken over the entire medicinal rag that cared for the wound.

He stood up, his knife falling from his hands, causing all the brothers to look at him but he barely noticed. His eyes were trained on her.

The girl was shaking, still, she nodded at him, trying to softly signal that she was alright. That she would be alright.

She groaned inwardly at how sweet he was.

"Poor Bjorn! It is you who doesn't want to keep the army together. It is you who wants to go away to sunny places," Ivar snapped, his eyes glowing so dangerously that the crowd seemed to shy away from his stare, except for Nero, who sought his gaze, but their eyes didn't meet. He was murderous, "everyone else can follow me."

All cheered at his words, but their happiness, as always, was short-lived.

Sigurd took a sip of his drink, his eyes falling on Nero for a split second as she shook her head, begging him not to say anything else, "I do not want to follow you, Ivar."

The boy stood up, his face determined and challenging. Hvitserk looked at Nero, slowly settling back down in his seat, his eyes not leaving the wounded girl. Nero's eyes not leaving Sigurd. Sigurd's eyes not leaving Ivar.

"You are crazy. You have the mind of a child!" he taunted. The wolf began to grow fidgety, their fights never ended well. This one was public, both of their pride were at stake, who would back down and be laughed at? Ragnarssons weren't known for that.

She cursed Sigurd and his big mouth. He had caused enough damage.

"And all you do is play music, Sigurd!" Ivar barely understood nor processed the words that left his own mouth, his body was almost trembling with anger.