✩ chapter I, act I ✩

"You had this expression on your face like you weren't quite sure you were supposed to be on Earth."
chapter I, act I ✧ 𝒓𝒆𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒉𝒐𝒎𝒆

Her eyes widened.

The honey-green specks sparkling in... wonder?

Everyone moved out of his way, just as a parting sea.

She too suddenly lost grip on the knife she yearned to buy.

Her feet seemed to have a mind of their own as she ambled towards the very center of all confusion.

Her lips contorted into a wild grin, her canines shinning white at the edges of her smile. Her eyes scanned his face; he hadn't changed since she last saw him, hugging himself defeated at the edge of the escape boat.

Nero breathed out in relief; the weight of the world dropping off her shoulders.

Midgard's greatest king, Midgard's greatest warrior, stood right in front of her. For a second all her doubts were gone and she knew for a fact that he was truly Odinsson.

"King Ragnar!" without waiting any further, the girl jumped on him, lacing her arms around his neck; his unkempt beard scratching the sides of her face.

The king stood awkwardly in the embrace, but as soon as his mind caught on to her act, he began laughing, laughing, and laughing and thanking his newfound God for the opportunity to see the small warrior.

The people of Kattegat squirmed for the wolf. They spoke quietly amongst themselves: doesn't she know of his treason? Doesn't she know of all he has done? Naive girl! Naive girl!

Nero stood back, but her hands were still cautiously placed on her king's shoulders. She wasn't naive. She knew of all that had been done, naivety to her would be to not acknowledge all Ragnar had done for Kattegat. All Ragnar had given to Kattegat.

He gave her a lopsided smile; it was too easy to distinguish her from the women in town, "Hello, wolf."

Her own smile dropped, noticing the dullness in his eyes. Dullness that wasn't present before Paris, "Ragnar, my king, how are you holding up?"

Her hands crawled up to his sunburnt face, she sighed, holding his cheeks, "You seem.... out of yourself... out of your mind."

"Let us pass! Move!" his chance to reply was cut short when, from amidst the heavy crowd that encircled the duo, Ubbe came, his brothers following suit.

The five men stared at each other. Anger, sadness, disappointment, were all emotions that reflected equally in their beautiful faces. Ragnar's eyes looked like diamonds under the sun, only his sons were brave enough to hold his solemn gaze.

The crowd was silent. Nero could hear her own heart beating when she cautiously hid behind the king, partially leaving the scene.

No one would dare to interrupt the family reunion.

"Hello, Ivar... there is no mistaking you," his voice came out softer than he had intended, and the distorted pitch gave away the unmistakable edge of a crazed man. He stared down in amusement at his crawling son, "it seems my return... is not welcomed.