✩ chapter IV, act III ✩

"And I tremble, and I grow pale, for this love is killing me."
chapter IV, act III ✧ 𝒎𝒆𝒂𝒅 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒃𝒓𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒔

"Hvitserk told me he had always loved Margarethe today," Nero spat out her drink, she had been drinking mead for way too long to care about the stares she got from the people at the feast in the great hall.

She hadn't seen any of the boys since her encounter with Ivar, so when Ubbe approached her to invite the wolf to his wedding that was to be held on the following morning, they soon began talking about everything.

"He did..." she breathed in, looking at Ubbe, a sly smile on her face as she blinked excessively, "WHAT?"

Okay, maybe Nero wasn't as fine with the idea of Hvitserk and her only being friends as she had previously thought. She had feelings for the boy, she would have to admit.

Of course what she felt for Ivar was stronger, what she felt for Ivar seemed... divine, but he never looked for her, and she didn't want to bother, so she decided she would, for the last time in her life, drink away her feelings, now both for Ivar and Hvitserk.

Ubbe couldn't help but let out a choked laugh at her reaction. For a brief moment she seemed so calm and contained, he almost thought she didn't care, "Let's go get you a drink."

She made a "pf" ing noise, nodding before following him. She already had a drink, she chugged it quickly, leaving her mug fully ready for yet another dose. She stumbled upon a familiar face and her eyes lit up, "Halfdan!"

"Wolf!" he screamed out, just as enthusiastic as her, he pulled her into him as she laughed, breathing in his sea salt scent. She looked at Harald, who seemed to be extremely concentrated in something, someone. She motioned for Ubbe to continue on without her, knowing he had his eyes trained on his fiancé that stood on the corner of the hall.

Halfdan, with an arm still around the girl, elbowed his brother, encouragingly, "Oh, so there's a giiirl," Nero slurred, smirking. The king looked at the two, they gave him proud smiles and thumbs up before shooing him towards the beautiful princess.

"That is the woman he wishes to marry," Halfdan informed and Gunnolf nodded her head, grinning, she had seen Harald behave awkwardly for the first time in her life, that had to mean he liked the girl.

From afar, they noticed the conversation beginning to become... tense. Nero, fully drunk, exposed her teeth at the thought of a fight, she loved fights. The duo walked towards Harald, wishing to back him up if he needed, "I have built my entire life around you."

Hearing the king so murderous and heartbroken stirred something in the girl, she wondered if anyone would ever feel that way about her. Love her enough to build an empire for her, love her enough to sound so heartbroken for her. She grew angry, unsheathing her knife and she watched Halfdan do the same.

"Everything I've done, I've done for you," he growled, his brother slipped the knife into his hand and Nero turned her back on the two, ready to avoid anyone that wished to interfere, "I love you."

And with those pained words, he allowed her to go and stormed off. Nero felt a sense of understanding. She walked outside following the king, even when Halfdan tried to hold her back. She grabbed two swords from the training grounds and stalked after him, determination clear on her features.

"Harald!" she screamed, her chest thundering with her words, her anger at love became directed to him for some reason.

They both understood the pain of heartbreak, but the girl, of course, was experiencing it for the first, confusing time. She barely knew why her heart was so broken, why she was so angry.