✩ chapter IV, act I✩

"It may end badly one life, but the next life will be better."
chapter IV, act I ✧ 𝒈𝒓𝒆𝒆𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒈𝒔 𝒇𝒓𝒐𝒎 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒂𝒍𝒍-𝒇𝒂𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓

"We... we made it?" Nero breathed out. The view was simply stunning, the sea, as blue as it can be.

They all stood side by side, and Nero had to hold onto Hvitserk's hand to make sure it wasn't all a dream, to make sure it wouldn't vanish when she blinked.

"We made it, Ironside," Harald spoke, his voice bringing more meaning and more certainty to the wolf's words.

"At last, the Mediterranean," he reassured, his voice filled with a tired pride. They were all smiling, "this is further than our people have ever gone."

At his words, Hvitserk looked down at Nero, their eyes reflecting playfulness and pride from one to the other. She stood on her tippy toes and pecked his lips. They made history, they had made their gods proud.

"Further than Ragnar dreamed," he continued, but Nero wasn't listening anymore, the sound of crows was becoming unbearable to her ears, louder and louder by each second.

Her head seemed to spin when she turned around and watched the many black birds, flying in circles over the island. A shiver ran down her spine and she took steps towards the animals, soon Björn and Hvitserk followed, feeling the same strange sensation.

"How the little piggies will grunt, when they hear how the old boar suffered."

Ragnar. She placed her hands on her temples, trying to believe she was going crazy rather than believing she had actually heard her king's voice. Deep down, she knew he meant the message to be for those who he had left a mission for.

She would avenge him, much like the other two boys. She didn't have to ask if they had heard his voice too, Björn was faster.

His eyes filled with tears, his nose red, "Hvitserk, did you hear him too?"

"Yes," she intertwined their fingers, giving his hand a slight tug of comfort. She knew that meant his father was dead.

Once they tore their gazes away from each other, they managed to look back at the mountain, a man dressed in black stood there, a certain darkness covering a side of his face. One of his eyes, missing.

Her breath hitched in her throat. She knew him. She knew the man and the overwhelming feeling of power that came with him. Odin.

"My father is dead," Björn announced, and Nero's heart sank. He turned to face his brother and her.

She hugged him, feeling his tears wetting her cheeks. Hvitserk joined their hug, wrapping his arms around the two, it was safe to say that the two had spent more time with Ragnar than he had, more time with Ragnar than him, Ivar and Sigurd.

Her hands trembled and her eyes watered. She felt weak. Part of her... missing. She refused to tell Floki, she couldn't do it.

Anger stroke her like lightning, suffered, he had suffered. And there would be Hel to pay, for whoever made her family suffer.

 And there would be Hel to pay, for whoever made her family suffer