Chapter 17

"So where are we going?" asked Damon. Harry had gone in the morning to pick him up and drove back home to get me while I finished getting ready. "Well I was thinking of playing paintball?" I turned around to look at Damon and found him staring in surprise, I looked at Harry and found him with his mouth open. "Is that not a good idea?" I asked. It was silent for a while until Damon cleared his throat. "I'm just surprised that you want to go do that...most girls wouldn't dare to even step in." I wasn't so thrilled but I know guys don't want to talk about feelings, I have to ease my way in slowly so why not do some guy stuff.

   After paintball we all decided it was time to go out for lunch, it took about five minutes just to decide to go to Chili's. We waited awkwardly for our food, no one was saying anything. It was dead silent. "So uh...Damon, how's work going? Didn't you get a job at a car wash?" asked Harry. "yea but...I quit about two days ago." He looked as if something was bothering him, he hasn't really shown any happiness at all. He looked like he hasn't slept in days, weeks actually. "I'm sorry this is just not what I want to do. I don't know why I agreed to going out with you guys, I don't even want to see y'all right now." He got up and pushed in his seat but before he could leave I yelled at him to stop. "What do you mean you don't want to see us right now? All we are trying to do is help you feel a little better, we need to be helping each other right now and..." But before I could finish he held up his hand to stop me and laughed. "How can you both even be okay with what is going on? The damn police cant even find her yet and she's already seven months. How are y'all able to be out and about like as if nothing is even wrong? Paintball and Chili's while Hayley is still out there with that fucking idiot? She's still missing, she's out there somewhere and y'all don't even seem affected by this at all. What kind of a sister are you Vanessa?" He walked away before Harry could even defend me, everyone was staring at us and I guess they realized who we were. A lady from across the room whispered to another woman saying, " That's the missing girls sister." Others were saying, "Maybe she isn't missing maybe she ran away because that girl really is an awful sister. A young woman who looked like she was wealthy said to her friend, "Maybe the girl is dead now...or her sister is the one who has her hostage and is blaming the girls husband." There were soo many whispers filling the room, so many that I couldn't hear what Harry was saying to me. "Why don't you all just shut the hell up and mind your own fucking business!" I yelled, slammed the table and stormed out of the restaurant. I stood outside looking around, feeling lost. I felt so much anger, so much pain. I stood there with fist closed then yelled as loud as I could and dropped on my knees, tears coming down like as if my eyes were waterfalls. "Babe, you alright? Come here let me take you to the car and we can talk." He helped me up and lead us to the car. "Vanessa I know he didn't mean those things he said back there. He's hurting right now because part of him feels guilty for not telling us sooner and for not being able to help in some way to find her and have her here with us. You are not the worst sister ever, you're the best and I know you are hurting too." I wiped my eyes and sat there silent for a moment. "Can we just go home and watch movies? Maybe have some coffee or something with some desserts? I want to forget this day and go home and pray for my sister again." He grabbed my hand, kissed it and nodded.