Chapter 19

Daniel walked back into living room, carrying a sandwich on a plate. He set it down on the coffee table and looked to Lucy. She hadn't said a word since she let slip that her father was Eli Queen. Daniel let out a soft sigh and crotched down in front of where she had buried herself in a large grey blanket. He nudged her softly and her red puffy eyes finally moved from her feet to him. He smiled, "Welcome back to planet earth." He tried. When he got no response, he nodded to the sandwich, "You haven't eaten since your lunch break right? You worked up quite a sweat earlier, you should really eat something."
Again, Lucy stayed silent, averting her eyes back to her feet people king out from the blanket.
"C'mon Luce, talk to me. Please?" He shuffled closer, "Please? This isn't you. Where's my wild girl from a few hours ago huh?" He tried to joke again but instead her brown eyes began to tear up again, "Aren't you mad at me?"
Daniel blinked in confusion, "Mad? Why would I be mad?"
"I kept it from you. I kept a secret from you and you shouldn't do that to the people you love and care about." She began to sniff and shake. Daniel scooped her up and sat her on his lap on the floor, "Yeah true. But this was your dad. It's a difficult thing for you to talk about, I get that. Hell if I saw one of my parents go in front of me I'd probably do the same. I'm not mad Lu, far from it. I'm worried I upset you talking about him so much. You always got so quiet when I started fangirling about him and I didn't even notice until now."
"Heh... you do fangirl a lot." She murmured softly against his shoulder. Daniel smiled and twirled a lock of her hair around his fingers, "Yeah." He kissed her head and lifted her chin to look at her, "No more being sad ok? Smile? For me?"
Lucy sighed softly before lifting her head on her own and smiling slightly. Daniel grinned back, "There she is." He pecked her lips softly before reaching behind her and picking up the plate, "Now. Eat, your not keeling over on me Missy."

That night, Daniel lay on the couch, Lucy settled on top of him with a giant grey fluffy blanket wrapped around them. He watched her sleep silently, playing with her hair. All this time, he never even noticed the resemblance between her and Eli. All this time, he had been so busy reminiscing about his role model while she was remembering her father and he didn't even care to notice.  Daniel sighed and pressed his lips to her hair, "I'm sorry Luce." He whispered. She shifted slightly before sighing and settling back down again, closer to his hold. Daniel smiled slightly and looked to the window, spotting the faint outline of the treehouse just a few yards away and sighed again, Lucy had no more heavy secrets on her shoulders, Dylan was doing ok, his mother was sleeping better, and his father was the same supporting rock as always. 'For now,' He leant down and kissed Lucy head softly, 'Everything will be ok.'
Shifting to sit up, Daniel rose slowly, careful not to disturb his sleeping beauty, smoothly lifting her bridal style as he got to his feet and left the living room, carrying her up the stairs to the bedroom, laying her down softly. He turned to leave the room but a hand snatched his wrist and he turned to see Lucy's brown eyes searching him. He smiled and leant down, planting another kiss on her head, "I'm just gonna turn the lights off." He murmured. Lucy nodded, closing her eyes again and letting his hand go. He smiled wider, leaving the room and running back down stairs, flicking the switches off before he turned around again, a large hairy figure running past him into the bedroom.
"Jax don't you dare!" He called after the dog, turning int the doorway to see Jax had already made himself comfortable by Lucy. Lucy rubbed his ear and smiled sleepily, "Can he stay?"
"Fiiiiine. If he doesn't steal you." Daniel rolled his eyes, turning the lights off and climbing in beside her, "You're mine to spoon."
A weak, half awake laugh came from her as he wrapped an arm around her waist, pulling her back to him.
"Danny?"
"Mmhmm?"
"I'm sorry."
"Stop apologising."
"No."
"Stubborn bish."
"Thank you."
Daniel laughed against her shoulder, burying his face into her neck, "Get some sleep."
"M'kay." She murmured back, already sounding as if she were falling back into the soft embrace of sleep. Daniel smiled again, closing his eyes and listening to her breathing. Snuggling closer, if that were possible, he breathed her in and kissed her shoulder, "My girl."