1

How does one start a story!?

°°°

     "Come on they went that way!"

     A shout was heard. It echoed down the alleyway and was soon followed by thundering footsteps. A young child by the age of eight ran as fast as their little legs could carry them clutching a stolen bag of food close to their chest.

     Their bright (E/C) eyes scanned their surroundings in hope of finding a way to escape the angry people chasing them.

     The child's bare feet slapped loudly against the cracked asphalt, their breath coming in ragged gasps, and their (H/C) hair whipping wildly against their face.

     The sight of a ladder leading up the side of an apartment complex caught the childs eyes and without thinking, they ran to it. They jumped up, barely managing to catch the bottom rung of the ladder, and climbed frantically up making sure to secure the bag between their teeth.

     The child heard enraged shouts and looked down to see the three people, the fruit trolley guy, a policeman, and a woman, pulling down the ladder to climb after them.

     The child was you and you continued to climb up the building until you reached the top. You looked down and glared at the three people.

     'All I did was steal a few fruit and take that woman's purse. It's no big deal! They can get new ones, I on the other hand cannot.'

     You growled in your mind at the selfish people who wouldn't give up chasing you. You ran across the rooftop and opened the roof entrance, thanking the God above that it was unlocked. You ran inside, making sure to lock the door this time before running down the stairs and into a hallway.

     "Um ok...I guess I'll take the elevator!" You said cheerfully and rushed gleefully towards one. You managed to take the elevator down to the lobbey and run out the exit door. You peeked in through a crack as the three adults entered the lobbey angrily and demanded the clerk to let them see the cameras.

     You giggled playfully as you noticed a camera facing the exit door. You would be long gone by the time they rewatched it all so you left them a little gift by flipping off the camera and racing away from the building, laughing.

     Several minutes later you were safely downtown sitting in an old shed. You opened up the woman's purse and noticed the stolen fruits inside. Your stomach rumbled loudly and you hugged your midsection tightly from the pain it left behind.

     You grabbed an apple and sunk your teeth into it and continued to search the purse. You found nothing except eighty dollars, chapstick, a handheld mirror, a wallet, and a pack of spearmint gum.

     You proudly examined the items that were now yours before gently placing everything back into the bag. You continued to munch on your apple and watch the sun set from the broken window.

     You smiled at a faint memory of doing this with your mother before it disappeared, as well as your smile. You barely remembered your parents or life before the streets, after all, you were only four at the time when your family was taken. You always guessed your father had mixed himself up into some bad business which wasn't his fault.

     He was just trying to provide for his family and unfortunately you all paid the price. Your small mind can only remember the smell of smoke, the raging fire that destroyed your home, and the screaming of your parents as you ran down the street away from that nightmare.

     You sighed and threw the apple core in your hands out the window before curling up in a ball in the corner. You were fine, that's what you always told yourself, you didn't need anybody!

     They would only get in the way or get you hurt. But you can only lie to yourself for so long and sooner or later you find yourself wishing for a miracle.

°°°

     There first chapter done! Sorry if it's short but now you have some background info on yourself and what happened. I know, its a cliché young child with a terrible backstory but oh well! Thanks for reading it and onto the next chapter! Later Gators!

~A.T.