23

You guys were a little bummed to find out that the tunnels didn't actually lead anywhere. They all just ended up connecting to one another in a maze like pattern and opened right back up into the cavern you had fallen into.

     Dejectedly, you guys headed back to the cavern, disappointment filling you all at the prospect of going home without you having a good official adventure.

     "Hey, do any of you have any idea what time it is?" Tom asked as you guys trudged along, hoping for something more entertaining then the smooth cave walls. Tord held up a finger and used his other hand to rummage around in his hoodie pocket until he pulled out a phone.

     "Well, Thomas, it is officially 8:00. Why, is it past our bedtime?" Tord jabbed Tom in the side with his elbow and smirked. Tom frowned and flipped Tord off. You rolled your eyes as the two started to lightly argue, giving each other petty insults and playful jabs the entire time.

     "They've changed so much. It's great to see how they've been getting along lately." You turned to face Edd as he said that. He was watching the two as they playfully fought with a content look in his eyes and a smile on his face. You thought about how Tom and Tord used to be when you had first arrived and how they had changed drastically over time. Actually, all of them had changed in some way or another, but you were just glad that they seemed happy and content with the changes in them and their lives.

     "Yeah, I know what you mean." You replied as you all continued the long trek back. You and Edd continued to chat until a familiar shout caught your all's attention.

     "Guys, you really need to see this!" Matt's voice echoed around the barren walls and a hint of awe and wonder could be heard in it. You and Edd shared a scarily similar grin before you both raced past Tord and Tom to make it to where Matt had been wandering ahead of the group. As you rounded the corner you froze next to Matt and gasped, yours eyes widening as stars appeared in them.

     "Oh my days!" You squeaked out gleefully, your body starting to vibrate from the suppressed excitement. Matt was staring slack jawed at the scene as his eyes glittered with stars of his own. Edd joined you with Tom and Tord not far behind.

     "Holy."

     "Shit."

     "Language!"

     "English." You chirped receiving the stink eye from Edd and a chuckle from Tom and Tord. After that little interaction you went back to staring at the cave you had first fallen in earlier, except, the cave was different.

      The cave was no longer dark and bland but rather glowing with small stalagmites and rocks. The room reminded you of a night sky as the rocks twinkled with cold light and the stalagmites gleamed like beautiful gems. Light lit the ceiling above the pond like golden fire as the golden light was coming from the pond itself. You walked closer to the pond and on further inspection gasped at what you saw.

     The water shimmered brilliantly as small fish could be seen swimming slightly beneath the waters surface. They glowed like molten gold and you found yourself captivated by the shining beauties as they swam quickly around the pond in circular motions, only allowing their backs or veil like fins to ghost out of the water before quickly dipping back down.

     "Wow." You whispered breathlessly. Behind you the boys were also staring around them with a mixture of awe and curiosity. Matt had joined you beside the pool, his blue eyes reflecting the golden fishes light as he stared down at them, his smile growing wider by the second.

     Edd wasn't able to stay still as he took everything in with unhampered glee. He had snatched out a small notebook from his hoodie pocket and a pencil and began scratching away on the pad, his eyes squinting to see well in the semi dark room as he looked down at the pad and then back up at the walls. This process continued for a while until he turned his attention towards the pond and the process started all over again.