12

Oh look at this! I got off my lazy bum (jk) and made a new chapter for you lovely folks! Good for me! I hope you all enjoy~

°°°
True to Edd's words, you wound up sick the next day. You lay in your room (which you had recently bought the stuff for and set up) coughing your poor little heart out. Once your coughing fit ended you curled under the blankets hugging (T/N) to your chest as you groaned in discomfort.

The cold hit you hard since you weren't often sick due to the great immune system you had built up over the years. Now you really wished you hadn't run off the day before.

Maybe then you could have avoided being sick, but then you never would have met that nice ice bag and saved the people of the meat locker.

Your thoughts were interrupted as you started to hack your lungs out again. You felt miserable and once you were done coughing you threw the blanket over your head and snuggled into it's comforting warmth.

You couldn't help but smile slightly as you realized you really, actually had a bed now. You would definitely not miss sleeping on the dirt.

A quiet knock on your door had you peek your head out from under the blanket to see Edd walk in with a bowl of soup and a bottle of medicine tucked under his arm.

He set the stuff down on a bedside table before giving you a gentle smile and running his hand through your sweaty hair.

"How are you feeling young 'n?" He asked you. You forced a smile onto your face and was about to respond only to end up sneezing on the poor guy. You rubbed your nose sheepishly as Edd wiped his hoodie.

"Eh, not to good. I feel terrible and sorry." You sniffed, your voice coming out scratchy and small.

"Oh it's fine. At least you didn't puke on me like Tom did once." Edd said with a smile as he got to work pulling out a spoon and opening the medicine cap.

"Really? How did that even happen?" You asked with a chuckle. Edd poured the medicine from the bottle gently into the cap.

"Well, I'm pretty sure you know that Tom's an alcoholic, right?" You nodded your head at this part to show you definitely knew that on your previous adventures throughout the house. You nearly killed yourself slipping on those Smirnoff bottles that littered his room.

"Okay so, one night, I get a call from some barman complaining that Tom passed out at their place and they can't close up until he leaves. And, like the good friend I am, I end up driving all the way downtown at 3 in the morning to drag this lazy drunk man into my car, drive him back home, and drag him into the house. How does he repay me? By waking up and puking all over me. It took two weeks to get the smell out of my hoodie!" Edd finished loudly with a slight glare as he sat on the edge of your bed next to you. Despite your soar throat, you can't help but laugh as you imagine this happening before you.

Edd chuckled right along with you until you started coughing again. He gently patted your back until you could breathe again and handed you the cap filled with medicine.

"Here, it's cough syrup. It'll help soothe your throat and help with the coughs." You gratefully take the medicine and chug it down. Your face scrunched up and you nearly gagged at the taste as you handed the cap back to Edd. He smiled sympathetically at you.

"Yeah, it's disgusting. I would've given you a flavored one but those are for kids and we didn't buy any for kids. At least, not yet." Edd said. You managed to finally swallow without having that awful taste in your mouth and you gave Edd a smile.

"Thanks Edd. Also, next time this happens, which I hope never does, I would gladly appreciate that kids medicine." You said. Edd ruffled your hair and you just giggled at his actions.

"Alright smart aleck. Get some rest. I'll come by later to check on you but if you need anything, just call." Edd said as he opened your door.

"Okay I will da-" You slapped your hands over your mouth before the word passed your lips and Edd froze a little. Silence filled the room a bit and Edd turned to face you.

He looked, almost expectant. He wanted to hear you call him...that. But you couldn't. You just couldn't call any of them that. You weren't ready.

"Um, okay Edd, I will. Thanks for the medicine." Edd just nodded his head and gave you a tight smile but you noticed the sad disappointed look in his eyes and the slump of his shoulders as he closed the door.

Guilt filled you and you were so tempted to call him back, hug him, and call him that. Heck, you wanted to do it to all of them. You may not have been there long but they had already done so much for you and you would forever be in their debt, but...you just weren't ready.

You had a haunting past and were dealing with something they wouldn't understand. It was for the best that you didn't call them that.

You just couldn't call them dad.

°°°
Yeah, I know it's a short chapter but I guess it's more of a filler than anything. I've been running low on ideas but I decided you all needed a chapter and so, here it is! I hope it's enjoyable and you liked the special time with mama Edd. Later my alligators!

~A.T.