23

I woke up in a cold, quiet and empty room. The only noise heard came from the monitors, and my heartbeat.

Wires connected to all the machines next to my bed were attached to me, monitoring every second of my body. An IV tube was poked into the skin on my hand, making my movement even more restricted. Tubes ran through my nose, providing my body with oxygen support.

I felt tired, even though I had just woke up from a deep slumber. My body felt stiff and weak, like the medication I was given took away every ounce of energy I had. With much effort, I shifted around in bed, and pulled the bedsheets to the side, seeing that I still had my entire leg. My leg was still the same way it was before surgery, except this time, it had a big white bandage wrapped around it, and the tumors were gone.

By the looks of everything, I assumed that my surgery went well, and I was grateful for that. I was grateful to be alive, and that I was given every possible chance I had to live life.

One of my nurses walked into my hospital room with a clipboard in her hand, and sent me a smile when she saw I was awake. "Hi Ethan. I'm glad to see you're awake. How are you feeling?"

"Fine," I replied, my voice scratchy and tired, "I'm just tired."

"Your recovery will take a bit of time, but other than that, you'll be just fine," she said, checking my vitals and changing out my IV. "I'll go let your parents know you're awake. Is there anything you need?"

A sudden thought popped up in my mind, and there was only one person I could think of.

"W-where's Alex? Is she okay?"

She looked at me, giving me look of sympathy, and for a second, I thought she'd say the words I didn't want to hear. "Alex is fine. She's asleep in her room. Her heart rate went down for a few seconds, so we had a bit of a scare, but she's still alive."

"Can I see her?" I asked, my voice a whisper.

The nurse looked at me and sighed, knowing that I couldn't get out of bed. "I'll see what we can do," she replied, before walking out of the room to get my parents.

I laid in bed, feeling somewhat helpless since I couldn't really do much. Recovery after surgery was always boring, because I was never allowed to do anything besides lay in bed. The door to my room was left open, and as I waited for someone to come bring me company, I watched every person who passed by, observing them. Nurses walked down the hall in both directions, so they may tend to patients, friends and family members walking around with tears of joy or sorrow streaming down their faces, and more patients, just like me, either having the best or worst day of their life.

A short while later, my parents walked into my room, both with looks of relief and joy to see me awake. I sat upright in bed, my head resting on my pillows as I watched them walk in. They walked over to my bedside, engulfing me in hugs and telling me how thankful they were that everything went well.

"I'm glad to see you're doing okay hun," My mom said.

"Thanks mom," I smiled at her.

"How are you feeling?" My dad asked.

"I'm fine, just tired," I replied.

Shortly after my family walked in and we had a small reunion, my doctor walked in, ending our family moment. She held a clipboard in her hands, per usual, and was ready to let me in on more information. Once again, as usual.