Chapter One

Chapter One

The car pulled into the new house's driveway sooner than I expected. I looked out to see a two story, white brick house with gray gutters, window frames, and porch columns. Trees practically covered the house until you were right upon it. There was a pond in the back yard which lead into, you guessed it, more trees.  Why did they buy a place so back in the sticks?

When the car stopped, I was eager to get out, stretch my legs and finally get away from Meat-Head's mouth. "Where are we?" I asked mom when she got out of the passengers side.

She got out, her blonde curls bouncing, and smoothed her white slacks. "Your father and I have decided it was time for a change; venture out into the world more." She gave me a warm smile.

I forced a smile back and rolled my eyes when she wasn't looking. It was her that wanted a change, not my dad. But she was his 'dragonfly'. Yuck!

I heard wheels crunching on the gravel driveway and saw that the U-haul truck was here and I stepped back to let them do their job and unload the furniture. I planned to stay outside the entire time but then I realized I had to choose my room. Entering, the first thing I saw was a fireplace in the den/living room area and a beautiful chandelier hung in what I assumed to be the dining room. Most of the walls were white, but I know they were going to change because my mom loves decorating. All the floors were wood except the den, which was a red shag rug, and the kitchen, which was tile.

I saw the stairs, which where wooded but covered with the same red rug as the den. I trudged up the stairs, exaggerating every step with a loud thump with my combat boots and stopped on the second floor. I ran my hand along the smooth wooden banister at the top that looked down to the bottom floor. There were four rooms with wooden doors. I opened the first door and saw that it was the bathroom, so the rest must be bedrooms. Being the anti-social I am, I went to the farthest door away from the rest and looked in there.

The room wasn't too big but wasn't small either. The walls had been painted a pale green with black wallpaper boarding it. I guess the people who lived here before knew my favorite colors. The floor was a white shag rug that I couldn't wait to walk on with bare feet. A window was on the farthest wall; it was one of those that extended a little outwards so you could sit on it with pillows and such. The room was... perfect.

I sat on the ledge I just described and peered out. Trees were all I could see from this point of view, I guess my room doesn't face town, but that's alright.

I heard a knock at the door. "Come in!" I yelled. It was my mother.

"Hi,  sweetheart. This the room you want?" She said too sweetly.

"Yes, mom. Send my stuff up here, thanks." I said in a monotone voice.

Her smile fell a little but she nodded and left me at peace.

-

Once all my stuff was brought up to me, I arranged things how I wanted. My queen sized bed fit perfectly pushed up against its side on the farthest wall, under the window. My black sheets with an array of different shades of green pillows scattered at the top of my bed matched my room's green and black accents. I decorated the ledge on the window with my very few stuffed 'animals'(my stuffed Jack Skellington, Sally, and Oogie Boogie) and a black body pillow I pressed against the window itself. My dresser was next to the closet, my large desk across the room and in the middle, I set up my TV with my Xbox and stereo system under it. I had a white bean bag and a black gaming chair sat close to the 'entertainment.

I was finished quickly and went downstairs to see my parents still putting things away. Zipping up my leather jacket, I informed my parents I was going walking before heading out. I don't know if they agreed or not.

The sun shine down between the branches if the trees and splashed on the yard. It was the beginning of Autumn, so it was only a little cold out today with a breeze in the air that sent strands of my hair blowing up into the air. I don't know where I planned to go, I just started walking, finding comfort in my solitude.

I thought of the city I had come from. There, it always seemed the noise would not stop and a headache would always form if I was around it a while, which was almost everyday. Out here, it was peaceful. But I found silence eerie, something you can't escape that can eat at paranoia.

Leaves that had already fallen off some of the trees crunched loudly under my feet. My slender legs moved swiftly as if with a real purpose other than to get away from people I didn't like. I didn't hate my family, but they were so soul-sucking I couldn't stand them after a while.

Buzzzz. Buzzzz.

I felt my ass vibrate as my phone went off. I reached around to get it, only to see tags it was my mother.

"Kacie?" She said as soon as I answered.

"Yes?" I said, clearly annoyed.

"Where are you?" She seemed worried.

"I told you I was going for a walk."

"Well, get back here. We don't know this place well enough! It's nothing like the city!"

"Clearly. Mom, why do you have to baby me? You know I'll be fine." I was already heading back though, already knowing she wouldn't stop calling until I showed up.

"I baby you because I love you, now do as I say and come back home right now." She started to get a little irritated.

"Okay, okay. I'm on my way," I groaned before heading back to the house.

To my surprise, I wasn't that far from the house as I had thought. I smelt food when I opened the front door. Damn, she's cooking already. I didn't even know she packed food.

I saw Jace in the kitchen trying to play his guitar that was horribly out of tune. "You aren't hitting a single note correctly." I said, annoying him on purpose. What kind of big sister would I be if I didn't aggravate him?

"What do you know about playing guitar?" He snapped at me.

I actually knew how to play the guitar but refused to let him know that so he didn't bombard me with his begging to teach him.

"Quit it, you two. I don't want this to be the first thing you remember about the new house. You two are always arguing." Mom said, not looking up from the pot she was stirring. I just rolled my eyes and went upstairs.

-

Later that night, I was lying in my bed, almost asleep, when I heard... a voice. This voice was deep and smooth and... not physical. It was in my head as if someone was in my brain, speaking to me. But the freaky part was: It said my name.