Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

My mind wondered about who the 'others' are. More killers and monsters? Just what shit have I gotten myself into this time. I took a breath and placed a shaky hand on the door handle and pulled open the heavy door. Peering outside, I saw no one there but a white wall. I stepped outside and saw I was at the end of a long hall with stairs that led up at the other end.

Everything was white on this hall, with doors lining both sides. Creepy. I glanced around one more time before quietly walking down the hall. My boots made loud clanking noises again the eerie silence.

As soon as I reached the stairs, I quickly hurried up them and opened the door at the top. It was like stepping into a whole new world. The walls were wooden, warm brown logs built together creating a comforting feeling. The carpet was red, blood-red. Small lights lined the walls, creating a low-light effect. But the thing that surprised me most, was the sweet but strong smell of potpourri.

The house was almost silent, excuse the mumbling of voices and thud of footsteps. I crept closer through the halls, eying priceless artwork and furniture. I came up to what I assume to be a dining room, taking note of the old looking table and chairs with a glorious golden chandelier with real candles swinging above. Still no one in sight, though.

"Hello." A voice rang out from behind me, startling me and making me jump.

I held my heart as I saw who it was. "Oh my God, Toby. You scared the living shit out of me!"

"I-I'm s-sorry." His eye twitched a moment before his arm spasmed. 

"It's okay," I smiled a bit. "Can I ask you something, though?"

"Of course." He muttered.

"Why do you...twitch?"

He seemed to stare at me a moment before looking down, his goggles gleaming. "Oh, i-it's nothing." He waved his hand. "Just a small medical condition, is all." He lifted his head and I saw his cheeks move under his mouth covering, I guess he smiled.

"Oh, well that's okay. We're all a little different. Right?" I smiled warmly at him. I don't get it. This kid seemed nice and calm...no way is he a murderer.

"Right." He gave me a thumbs up before shuffling over and sitting at one of the chairs. "Are you one of us?"

I was taken aback by the sudden question but I managed to shake my head. "N-No. Can't say that I am, Toby. You see, I..I just need time to think."

He nodded but he didn't seem to quite understand. I wonder how he got caught up in all this mess...

I perched my lips and sat down beside him. "Toby...if you don't mind me asking, how did you become a part of...all this?"

He looked at me and took a breath before looking back down. "N-No one liked me. I wasn't surprised, though. No one likes the weird kid who twitched all the time." He chuckled. "They called me Ticci-Toby as a way of making fun of how I am. But I can't help it!" He looked me dead in the eye. "With so much in my head at once I began to...to hear things. Things that weren't there. It would..it would tell me to hurt people...so I did. One night I snapped and it ended in a huge fire. I..I was going to end myself when...my savior came along. He told me that it wasn't my time, that I was needed for more important things. So, I joined him. I mean...what did I really have to lose?!" He laughed darkly. "But I have gained so much..." He said in an ominous tone that made me uneasy.

I sat there dumbfounded by his story. "I-I'm so sorry that happened, Toby."

"Why be sorry?! My life is wonderful now!" I saw him smile again and it made me do the same.

"What are you doing here? Sitting all lovey-dovey with Toby? How precious." A voice sounded from the doorway. I knew who it was before I even looked.

"Go away, Jeff." Toby's voice grew hard. What is up with everyone not liking this guy?

"And miss the show? No way. Now come on, fuck on the table for me." He laughed darkly. Suddenly, a blur passed my vision and before I knew it, Toby was pining Jeff against the wall by holding his throat. Holy shit he's strong!

"Go the fuck away, Jeff. No one wants you here." Toby said harshly while choking Jeff.

Jeff clasped his white hands on Toby's wrist, trying to pry him off. "K-Kind of h-hard f-for me to leave w-when you're p-inning me against the w-wall." He choked out.

Toby sighed and let him drop to the floor, him gasping for air as he did.

"Does this sort of thing happen often?" I asked, noticing a pattern of violence around this place.

"Yes." They said in unison as I face-palmed.

Jeff got up and dusted off his hoodie, not like it helped. "How's your arm?" I asked, remembering Smile biting him earlier.

"Why do you care?" He spat.

"Just trying to be a nice person, unlike some people." My eyes shot daggers in his direction. No wonder people hate him, he's an obnoxious asshole.

"Whatever, I'm going back upstairs." He scoffed and turned around, only to run smack into a tall figure, almost a foot taller than Jeff. It was the clown.

I felt my face turn white as I saw the creature. He looked exactly as he did in my dream. He took hold of Jeff and pushed him away, sending him to the floor. "Watch it, pip-squeek." He laughed uncontrollably at Jeff. Then he looked at me. "Ah, Kacie. Just the kiddo I wanted to see." His wicked voice rang out in my direction.

I looked at Toby before looking back at the clown. "W-Why do you n-need to see me?"

He stepped closer and towered over me. "To...apologize." He gritted his teeth as if he was forced to say the words. "For scaring you." Acid dripped from his words.

I stared at him...must be Slenderman's doings. "Apology accepted." I said with hesitation. Then he just...disappeared, leaving a thin cloud of black smoke like before.

"Who is that guy, anyway?" I questioned Toby and Jeff, who was surprisingly still around.

"That's Laughing Jack, but just call him LJ for short like the rest of us do." Toby said, this guy sure is helpful.

"Oh..okay. Makes sense...I think."

"Doesn't have to, It is what it is." Jeff spoke up, sounding annoyed.

"What is your problem?!" I burst out.

"What do you mean?"

"It's like you have a stick up your ass or something."

He glared at me before shuffling away.

I glanced at Toby who just shrugged. "Come with me." He said suddenly and before I could say anything, he was pulling me through the house.