Chapter Four

Chapter Four

I took a step back and gaped at him. What did he mean by that? What was he going to do to me?

Smile stood next to the man protectively. What a pair they were.. A smile dog and a smiling man, covered in blood, with a murderous look in their eye. I'm not going to lie, I was scared; scared for my life. I backed up until my back hit a tree, my only thought being: I'm doomed...

He took a step towards me and his malicious grin became wider than it was. "Heh... Y-Your going to be fun.." He said, his voice deep and rough.

I was too much in shock to speak or even move as I saw him reach into his hoodie pocket and pulled out a long, blood encrusted knife. I saw him lunge forward so I shut my eyes tightly, waiting for the blow.

It never came.

I opened my eyes to see Smile with his mouth clenched around the man's arm. The man was trying his hardest to pull away. "Goddamnit, Smile! Let go!  What are you doing?!" But smile never loosened his grip, growling all the same. That's when I realized: Smile is attacking his owner... because of... because of me?

The man stopped pulling and then glared at me, who was standing against the tree gaping like an idiot. He then looked at the dog, blood pouring out of his arm. The knife he was holding had fallen to the ground in the struggle to get loose. He then gave him a certain look and Smile let go,backing away slightly and sitting down.

The man looked at me and said, "He likes you," in that menacing voice. I don't know how to feel about anything right now but a smiled a little and looked at the dog then back at the man.

"Are you okay?" My voice came out surprisingly strong for my mental state right now. I don't know why I wasn't screaming and running away.

A confused look crossed his face. "What? O-Of course I am! Why do you care anyway?" He growled at me.

I shrugged. "Whatever. Just trying to be nice." How am I being so calm?!  This is so guy, obviously a murderer, and I'm asking if he okay?!

"Look, I don't want your sympathy."

"I'm not giving you any. Anyways, why are you out here in the middle of the woods?"

He looked me up and down as if I was stupid. "You're one to be talking."

Then, a scary thought crossed my mind.. "Are you the one following me? Leaving me creepy notes and stuff?"

A look of amusement crossed his face. "Why would I want to follow you? " I didn't know if I should have been offended or relieved. "So, no, I'm not the one leaving you stupid messages." He gave me one last nasty look before walking away, beconing Smile to follow but he didn't move. Instead, he came over to me.

I smiled and petted the dog. "You like me more than him, don't you?"

"No, of course he doesn't, but he has taken a liking to you." The man said, coming back to where we were. "Smile, let's go!" He commanded once more but still, the dog didn't move. He was clearly frustrated now. "Let's go, you damn mutt!"

"Talking to him like that will get you no where."

"I'll talk to him anyway I fucking like to." Geez, did this guy have a potty mouth. Hypocrite.

"Jeffery!" I heard a deep, deep voice rumble through the trees. It seemed to not have a body at all.

I saw the man, who I assume is Jeffery, went stock still. Who was it?  What could possibly frighten this guy? Smile even cowered down at the voice! Suddenly, a sharp ringing sounded in my ears, loud enough to bring me to my knees, covering my ears. This didn't seem to happen to the other two.. Where they immune?

That's when I felt the presence I have been felling around me. Now was probably a good time to haul ass again but I couldn't find the strength to get off my knees.

"Jeffery." I heard it again but this time it was closer, louder, and sounded more physical.

"Don't call me that! My name is Jeff!" Jeff, apparently, shouted.

I looked up to see a very tall man, about four feet taller than Jeff. He was dressed strangely in a black suit and tie, standing straight with his hands behind his back. The strangest part though, was his.. 'face', if you can call it that. This guy had no facial features. It was like white skin pulled tightly over a skeleton.

While I stared in horror, Jeff stared in annoyance. "What do you want Slendy?" Slendy?

"You are interfering." Slendy said simply. What did he mean by that?  Was this the guy leaving me notes?

"What?!  That's not fair!  Smile interfered first!  I was just trying to get my dog back! " Jeff defended. Smile looked up at him as if to say 'Fuck you, too".

"Please, Jeffery, lower your voice. You are giving me a migraine." He lifted his hand and rubbed his temple like a regular person.

"Whatever. I'm going home, my arm hurts." Jeff finally let go of everything and just walked off back into the woods the way he came. Strange.

"You go too, Smile." Slendy addressed. This time, Smile obeyed and followed Jeff. Then, it was just me and him. "Child... " He said once we were alone.

The way he said that made my body tremble. "A-Are y-y-you the one whose been l-leaving notes for me?"

"No," He said automatically. "I had a proxy do it for me."

"What is that?  A murderer like that Jeff guy?"

It took him a moment before he replied. "No. It is what I want you to become."