Chapter Five

Chapter Five

I stared blankly at the creature before me. What the hell is a proxy?

"Proxies are my human subjects; beings I find immensely intriguing and unique of sorts."

Did he just read my mind?!

"Yes."

Damn...

"Well, who was that guy?!" I pointed off to the direction Jeff sauntered off. "Was he one of them?"

He seemed to grimace, his facial structure moving slightly. "No. He is just a nuisance that won't leave my house."

"You seem to... really not like that guy." I stated. Again with this newfound calmness of mine... These characters seem to calm me more than frighten me.. as a matter if fact, the calmer I was, the quieter the ringing was. Maybe this guy fed off fear...

"It's not like that, per se; Mi casa, Su casa." He sure liked to use hand gestures. "It's just that Jeffery is one that likes to irritate me. One thing I do like about the man, is that he is committed to his job."

With the ringing practically gone, I was able to regain power over my legs and I stood up, dusting off my jeans. "And what would that be?"

I assume that a look of amusement crossed his face. "I'm sure you can guess that yourself." He held out a hand to me. "Come, join me."

I held up my hands. "Woah, woah, woah, hold the phone. I don't think I want to. That guy and dog were covered in blood. Blood! They are obviously murders and for you to be caught up with them, I assume you are as well! I'm also pretty sure your 'unique' individuals do the same. You expect me to join that? I am NOT a killer!" I stood my ground up again this obviously superior entity.

He said nothing but rose his chin slightly, as if to register what I had said. "Very well. How about this, then: A game."

Strange. "A game? What kind of game?"

"A game of insanity." He turned and actually started to pace, the most movement he has made since his appearance.

"What do you mean? Explain."

"If I can cause you to go insane, you join me."

"What do you mean 'cause me to go insane'?"

He stopped pacing. "I can make all your nightmares become reality by sheer will. It's called power over the mind."

"If you have such power, why don't you just make me go insane now?"

"Ah, but it is not that simple. See, the mind is a tricky thing. It's surrounded by.. let's call them walls. It's surrounded by walls that need to be broken through before you can grasp it and manipulate it by my will. But, to do so, I must weaken you mentally, break you bit by bit until you are indeed broken. Then, you will be crying for me to stop, to loosen my grip I have on you, but to do that, you must agree to being my proxy forever."

..."What if I am too strong to break?"

Again, he was amused. "We'll see about that." He chuckled. "Do you accept?"

I feared for my sanity now. This being obviously has the power to control me at will but he is creating this into a game that is almost impossible to win, but right now, also seems like my only option..I think. "What if I refuse this game? "

"You die right now by my hand. I can't let you go with knowledge of our true existence." Yep, my only option.

I sighed. "I guess I have no choice.. " I muttered. "I accept your challenge."

This seemed to please him. "As expected. I will show you to your home and let the games begin."