Hot Chocolate

I soft layer of wool shielded Wonwoo's cold cheeks from the winter's wind. With his face buried in his favourite maroon scarf he waddled beside Soonyoung towards SVTea.

Soonyoung's dark purple hair was mostly covered by a black bobble hat. He looked cute with his round cheeks nuzzled in his coat collar. Soonyoung patted Wonwoo's shoulder to get his attention and signed; "The barista guy is really hot. I tried hitting on him once but I'm pretty sure I'm not his type." His sign language was a little off as he hadn't been learning it for long but Wonwoo understood nevertheless.

"No. You're just too ugly." Wonwoo signed back. It took him a while to figure out what the hand movements meant but the purple haired boy eventually realised and punched Wonwoo's arm who just laughed in response.

"You know, I was going to compliment you and say that you and him would suit each other but I'd be lying through my teeth." Soonyoung had given up on signing and left Wonwoo to lip read despite the fact he hated it with a passion.

"Use sign language, idiot!" Wonwoo spoke out loud and his best friend stuck his middle finger up in translation.

The coffee shop was sweet and smelled of morning tea and cocoa. It's wooden, beige door held a handwritten 'open' sign that swung from side to side upon the two boy's entrance. A bell chimed as the door swung open but, of course, went unnoticed and unheard by Wonwoo. Soonyoung idly strolled to the front counter whilst his friend trailed behind admiring the pine wood ceiling and huge ebony lights that hung above fawn tables. The café was stylish but also incredibly homely. Wonwoo loved it.

A tap against his shoulder suddenly brought him back into focus to find Soonyoung and the cashier looking at him. After quickly assuming he had been asked what he wanted to drink he answered "Hot chocolate, please." timidly.

Whenever Wonwoo was in a public place he tried to look and sound as normal as possible which meant no sign language and lots of lip reading a.k.a Wonwoo's worst nightmare. Soonyoung knew how much he hated social interaction so he always took care of him and tried to make everything as easy as possible.

Wonwoo watched the silent conversation between his friend and the cashier. The cashier's hair was a light mahogany and was swept back off his forehead. He wore a dazzling smile in between his thin lips and below his prominent cheekbones that gave his face a beautiful shape. His features were delicate and so was his soft gaze that often wondered towards Wonwoo. He seemed to be studying Wonwoo's appearance as if he knew him from somewhere but couldn't put his finger on it.

Once the two boys had taken a seat by the window to wait for their drinks Soonyoung spelt out the cashier's name with his hands: Jeonghan.

"He's pretty." Wonwoo said and Soonyoung nodded.

Wonwoo's eyes and mind wondered to the busy street on the other side of the window. A happy couple crossed the road outside hand in hand with bright faces. They chatted merrily as they walked and their smiles made Wonwoo ponder whether he could ever find love like they had. Being deaf took away a lot from a relationship- Wonwoo knew he would always feel as if he was burdening his partner (if he ever had one).

A kick to the shin from under the table interrupted his thoughts and he turned to give Soonyoung his attention. Not as subtly as he intended Soonyoung nodded his head towards the tall barista who was placing Wonwoo's hot chocolate on the table. Wonwoo gave his friend a confused look as he even more obviously motioned towards the barista but Wonwoo still didn't get the hint for him to look over.

"Thank you." He nodded as he took a sip of his drink.

"No worries." A voice answered back and Wonwoo heard it.