the kiss (bill denbrough)

warnings: spoilers if you havent seen/listened to the musical 21 chump street, fluff

This year, the theater club was low on budgets. So, your teacher decided to do the shortest musical, 21 Chump Street. And to your luck, you were cast as Naomi Rodriguez. You had so much fun practicing with a small group of people, making such a magnificent thing come to life, that it seemed that opening night came too soon.

The losers came to opening night to support you, for your parents were working. They put some money together to buy you flowers, and they took their seats in the front row, waiting for the curtain to open.

Bill shifted slightly in his seat. He knew that in this musical, you would have to kiss the guy playing Justin LaBoy. And though he had no right, he felt himself get protective. He was not your boyfriend, and believed he never would be, but wanted you to belong to him so badly, that the thought of you kissing this other guy was a repulsive thought to him. But he thought it was ironic all at the same time, having had his first during a school play. Then the truth hit him full on.

This would be your first kiss.

Out of all the losers, you were the only one who hadn't yet had your first kiss. Not even one with some kid from elementary. You had never kissed someone outside of family.

Bill had always made it some kind of goal to be your first kiss. Even if you both never dated, or if you did and you relationship never lasted, he wanted to be your first kiss. And he wanted to make it special in some way, because you deserved it. But the opportunity was taken from him by a musical. He felt hurt, like someone had stomped o his heart, and tried to drown his sadness with the thought that you had probably already kissed him in play practice anyway.

The curtains opened, and a man sitting at a desk started, "The plan was called Operation D-Minus. And one of the schools included in the plan was Park Vista Community High School, where a kid named Justin LaBoy-"

"That's me!' a boy exclaimed, a spotlight illuminating his seat at his desk.

"-an 18-year-old honor roll student-"

"I get straight A's man!" he exclaimed, making many chuckle. Bill found himself subconsciously listing all of the boy's flaws, comparing him to himself.

"-was in the last semester of his senior year. Justin could hardly believe his luck when a very pretty girl showed up."

"Naomi!" he sang as another spotlight shined on you as you walked onto the stage, causing Bill's mental list to sweep away from his thoughts. The sight of you was so calming, so fitting on the small stage, and he found himself forgetting all about the kiss. He focused on the story, on the performance.

He laughed during What the Heck I Gotta Do, marveled at your luxurious voice during One School, and chuckling quietly while grinning at Cousin. And then came The Money.

He knew this must've been where the kiss happened, for it wasn't likely to happen in the Epilogue. He shifted anxiously in his seat as Naomi told Justin to take the money.

He marveled at the sound of your singing overlapping each other's before he leaned in, efficiently shutting you up, but also giving you the opportunity to force the money into his hand.

Bill's heart hurt. he took a deep breath and watched as you all finished up the musical. He clapped at the end, putting on a smile as he masked his disappointed thoughts with a review of the performance. He had been silently hoping the kiss wouldn't happen, that something else would happen to take the place of the rather intimate action, but no. There was no denying what he had seen, what they all had seen, was a kiss.

The losers all met you backstage, where you and the rest of the small cast were getting pictures taken. After pictures, you hugged them and went over to where the losers were patiently waiting.

You smiled at them. "So?"

"So," Richie drawled, placing his elbow on your head, for you were significantly shorter than him, "you didn't tell us you could sing, and now I'm honestly disappointed, and I'm sad to say we have to ground you."

Beverly and Ben nodded solemnly. After a few seconds, you all laughed.

"It was great!" Beverly said, still laughing as she pulled you into a hug. The rest of the losers joined, except for Eddie, who muttered about germs.

"Seriously, it was fantastic."

"You were so good!"

"I feel like a proud mother," Ben said.

"That would make me your father," Beverly giggled.

"Wow," you giggled. "So my parents did come see my performance!"

The losers laughed once again.

"As your mom, I would just like to say I do not approve of that guy you kissed," Ben said, putting his hand to his heart. "He seemed a little clingy, and you guys just met. It was concerning for a mother to watch."

"As your father, I can confirm that I never want to see that boy again," Beverly nodded, putting an arm around Ben.

"Fine by me," you said, making the losers laugh. "But, then again, when do fathers actually like anyone their daughters are dating?"

"That's fair," Beverly laughed. "But to make a point, I'd like to say that your mother did not approve, either."

"That is also fair," you giggled.

Bill held out the small bouquet of flowers they had bought for you. "S-Seriously, y-y-you were w-wonderful."

You smiled at him. "Thank you, Billy."

You all stayed backstage for a while, conversing, until you declared that you should get home before your parents did. Bill insisted on walking you home, saying it wasn't safe for you to be alone this late. You put the bouquet in your bag and exited the school.

You both walked to your house in comfortable silence, just quietly enjoying each other's presence.

When you got to your front porch, you turned to Bill with a small smile. "What are you thinking, Bill?"

He blinked in surprise. "Wh-What?" he asked, though he had heard what you said.

You smile didn't falter. "I said, what are you thinking, Bill?"

He gulped. "N-Nothing."

"Come on, Bill," you said with a breadth of a laugh. "I'm your best friend! You can tell me."

Without thinking, Bill blurted, "I'm thinking that I can kiss you better than that guy can."

Now it was your turn to blink in surprise. Your eyes found the pink tint rising to his cheeks, and felt your own heating up at the stutter-less confession.

You took a deep breath. "Prove it."

His head snapped p to gaze at you with wide eyes. As his mind turned over your words again and again, he searched your face for any trace of mockery. He found none.

Slowly, Bill's hands found their way to your waist. He used this grip to lightly pull you over to him, and you wrapped your arms around his neck and leaned forward. Your eyes fluttered shut as his lips connected with yours, filling both of you with pure bliss. Your lips danced as you shared affection and warmth on the cool spring night.

After a minute, you both broke apart. You gazed into each other's glazed eyes, staring at what was held in them, and letting the soft breeze speak for you both.

Eventually, Bill broke into a smile, burying his face into your neck and bringing your bodies closer together. He chuckled, "Stop."

You lips twitched into a smile. "Stop what?"

He brought his head up and rested his forehead against yours. "Stop doing things that make me want to kiss you."

Your heart fluttered at his words and lack of stutter, and instead of responding, you simply connected your lips once more.