signs (mike hanlon x reader)

warning: sexual references

a/n: it's been a hot minute since i've done anything on here, but i've posted a lot of tumblr recently lmao (icannott)

mike had been distant from the losers for weeks. if he wasn't working one day, he was holed up in the library the next, doing god knows what.

they were all in the park near the library, and they could see him in the window, fiddling with his hands as he intently read some book spread out in front of him.

"what on earth could he be doing in there?" bev sighed, shaking her head. they all shrugged.

"what ever it is, he's working hard at it," ben said. "let's just pray we get to see the results."

"maybe he discovered pornos," richie said, earning him a solid slap on the head from eddie. "hey!"

"and he's gone," stan spoke up. they looked up to the window they had been peeking through, and saw that mike had indeed gotten up. then the library door opened, and he was outside. they pretended to immersed in conversation, not paying any attention to him as he walked past.

"wow, he really walked past us," richie scoffed, furrowing his brow in offense. he opened his mouth to yell out to him when eddie shushed him harshly. "what?"

"looked!" he whispered harshly. they all snapped their attention over as mike approached one of the park benches, where you were sitting, reading a book as a fall breeze swept through the air.

"isn't that the new girl?" richie asked. they all shushed him that time. 

they him gulp as he got closer. "can i sit?" he asked politely. you looked up and smiled at him, nodding.

"thanks," he smiled, taking the seat by your side. "im mike."

you did a slow motion with you hand and he watched carefully.

"[name]?" he sounded carefully. you nodded eagerly. "oh, right on the dot. not bad." you grinned. "welcome to derry." you signed 'thank you', something all of the losers recognized.

"oh," ben sighed. they were all nodding in understanding.

richie looked around, seeing all of them nod and went, "what? what's happening?"

"she's mute, you baffoon," eddie grumbled. "mike's been learning sign language just to talk to her."

"damn," richie hummed. "score for homeschool."

you were smiling widely, shoulders shaking in a silent laugh as he grinned innocently at you.

"can i be honest?" he asked, still grinning. you nodded, quickly signing 'of course'. "i learned sign language just so i could talk with you." you immediately flushed. "and i was really scared i would wreck it up somehow, so i almost didn't come over here." he rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly as you gave him a gorgeous grin.

though none of the losers could interpret your signs, you signed, 'for what it's worth, im glad you did.'

he smiled charmingly. "me too."

xtra-

"what's sign language for 'im glad it wasn't porn'?"

"beep beep, richie."