49.

Previously

A cough falls from my mouth and the pain in my stomach increases, my body becoming suddenly weaker.
"Serena!"
Ash grabs my body and pulls my face up to look at his.
"Don't die on me now.. please..I need you.. don't leave me.."
I take a shaky breath as my vision blurs, my eyelids becoming heavy.
"Serena please! Please.. please stay with me.."
I find the strength to pull a smile on my lips, my hand gently touching his jaw.
"I-I love you Ash.."

———————————————————————————————

"Serena no.. please.. don't go.."
I manage to take a deep breath as I weakly look into Ash's eyes.
"Get out of here Ash.. forget about all of this.. if I die here then.. at least I'll remember that the last thing I saw was the face that I love so dearly.." "No. No don't say that Serena. You're going to survive this. You're going to stay with me and we will get through this." "A-Ash.. your mum will get worried if.. you're not there tomorrow.."
I whisper out, my eyes starting to close slowly.
"That doesn't matter. I'll stay here for an eternity if it means you'll be ok." "Ash just-"
I'm stopped as a sharp pain fills my body, a quiet gasp leaving with it.
"Serena!"
Ash lays me on the floor and leans over me, staring into my eyes.
"You're not going to die Serena. You're not going to die."
I hadn't realised before how painful it was, but I guess the shock has finally left my body and replaced it with pain.

I see Ash's eyes once again fill with tears as he gently strokes my face.
"Well get through this.. I promise.."

Just as he finished his sentence a loud crash echoes from outside the door.
"What the hell is going on out there.."
Ash whispers, leaning closer to me.
"I'll keep you safe Serena. Don't worry." "Thank you Ash.. you're the best.."

All of a sudden the door flies open, splinters of wood flying everywhere.

I close my eyes and cover my face as it covers the top half of my body.
"What the hell do you- May?!?!"
I look up to see May at the door, a long metal pole in her hand.
"I knew this house looked dodgy, and not seeing you two for a week was starting to worry me." "Oh May thank god you're here."
Ash runs up to her and pulls her into a tight hug as I weakly smile at them both.

They're both such wonderful people..
I'm so glad I came to this camp..

"Ash.."
I weakly cough out as the pain becomes almost unbearable.

Ash rushes towards me, kneeling beside me.
"Serena it's ok, just hold on for a little longer. I promise you'll be ok. Just stay with me." "What's wrong with her Ash?" "She was stabbed. By Calem."
I could see the pain fill May's eyes as she looked down at me.
"I'm gonna kill that man.. for hurting my best friend.." "No May stop! We need to help Serena first. Just get us out here safely, please." "Ok Ash. Pick her up and follow me."
As soon as Ash moves me an indescribable pain flows through me, a weak whimper falling from my lips as my vision starts to fade.
"Serena please stay alive. It's just a little longer. We're making our way out the house just... a little lon..."

And his voice fades into the darkness...

———————————————————————————————

"Hey Serena." "Yes Ash?" "Now that we're dating, I want us to make a little promise between us both. That ok?" "Of course Ashy. What is it?" "Well, I promise that I will always be there to love, support and comfort you, as long as you stay by my side."
He takes a deep breath a grabs hold of my hand gently.
"And keep holding my hand."
He grins, pecking my cheek lightly.
"Okay."
I grin back, hugging him tightly.

And I told myself to keep that promise, for Ash, and for me.

But I guess promises are meant to be broken..