( 1 )

~ astraia
[ 11:32 pm ]

I walk barefooted down the wet sidewalk, pulling my worn out jacket closer to my body. The summer nights here were still quite chilly. I live place to place, shelter to shelter, in the worst part of the worst town as what you'd classify as a street rat or prostitute and more. Not like I had much of a choice or this was outcome of decision, this was just the hand life dealt to me: a shitty hand.

I start to shiver, all of my legs exposed while I wear thin and torn clothes underneath my worn out jacket. And just to my luck, it starts trickling until steadily hardening into rain.

I run for the nearest shelter which is just a hood over the entrance of a closed drug store against the sidewalk. Not much but enough to keep me from getting soaked. I crouch down and pull my knees into my chest to keep warm the best I could, but my situation only gets worse.

A black car pulls onto the curb in front of me and the window rolls down to a face I can't see through the heavy rain or darkness.

"Hey!" The voice calls out and my eyes narrow to try to make out his face a bit better. His voice sounds familiar, however.

"You're that bitch that stole from me!"

My eyes widen when I finally recognize who the man is; I can't remember his name but I remember how I knew him. Sometime last week, he picked me up for sex, but instead of paying me, he offered to let me stay at his home for another night. I took advantage of it and peaked through his wallet, taking 400 dollars and a watch I found in his dresser before leaving his place without a goodbye. I figured he didn't need it as much as I did, and having 400 dollars worth of hard-on cash means he has to have a rather good job. I figured he'd make the money back in no time, right?

"I-I—" I begin until he gets out his car, slamming the door shut. I stand from my crouching position as he yells and approaches me.

"Where's my fucking money?!"

"I d-don't have it—"

"You think I'm dumb? You think I'm fucking dumb?!" He swings a balled fist at my face, "Where the fuck is my money?!"

My face is instantly fired up in a burning sensation, then my jaw begins to ache.

"I'm sorry, I needed it! I-I needed—"

"Wrong answer." He growls, grabbing my hair and throwing me into the rain onto the concrete sidewalk, kicking me while I'm down.

"I know you pawned my watch and I know you couldn't have spent all that money in only five days! Where the fuck is my money, fucking whore!"

I only block my face and neck with my arms, trying to plead until the wind is knocked out of me. My hair is grabbed again and he pulls me up by it, not helping my gasps for air while hurting my neck and throat. The man slams me back against the brick wall of the drug store, asking me the same question again. But I only gave the same answer.

I needed it.

I take the beating and refuse to try to run or fight back. What's the point? I deserved it. And even if I tried, I'm not a very fast runner and I'm definitely not a fighter. Especially against a man bigger and stronger than me. So...what's the point?

I close my eyes when the pain gets too bad and his fists begin to draw blood. I see it against his knuckles as he pulls back and throws another swing again. And I close my eyes and just wait for it to be over.

"Huh?" The man grunts, and when I don't feel another hit, I open my eyes to see another man behind the man beating me, taller than him with a strong grip on his shoulder.