|| Chapter Five - Almost ||

My hand instinctively tightened around the blade, I winced when my skin came into contact with the cold metal. The blade bit into my hand, a line of pain shooting up my palm. I concentrated on the pain in hopes of cancelling out the fear.

My lips were twitching, my whole body shaking as she slowly edged her way towards the door. Despite her clear upper hand, she was still weary. It was obvious that she was smart... and she knew Devon.

My list of questions was gradually getting longer as the scene played out. Devon shuffled behind me sending a zing of electricity up my spine, I heard him mutter something under his breath.

It sounded like an order. I turned, half expecting him to shove me out the door however, he was staring through one of the cracks in the door, past the young woman and into the pomade. My eyebrows scrunched up in confusion as I followed his gaze...

A loud bang resonated through the store, I jumped, a scream escaping from my dry lips. A group of people surged in, each wearing all black. They had an array of weapons, guns, knives and even bats.

Devon bent down to my level and spoke from behind me, loud enough to be heard over the chorus of shouts coming from the fight on the other side of the door.

"I'm getting you out of here. Do not..." he took a deep breath, "do not mention any of this ever again. To anyone, do you understand?" His voice had taken on a lethal tone, his breath was no longer warm but ice cold... raising goosebumps.

I swallowed hard and nodded.

"If I hear you tell anyone about my being here... I will end your-" I didn't let him finish.

"Fuck, just get me out of here!" I pleaded, tears springing in my eyes. His face contorted for a moment before he shifted around, trying to get in front of me.

I held my breath as his hand enclosed over the doorknob, the noise was deafening outside, gunshots, the clinking of metal and the thuds of bats. Devon grabbed my wrist, twisted the knob and threw us both out the closet.

Instantly, the noise hit me. I was overwhelmed, my head spinning as I took it all in, the whole time Devon was lugging me towards the emergency exit.

The woman from earlier was lingering, drifting between the units and aiming her gun, never shooting.

I studied her carefully as I was dragged through the store, she was scanning the place with her eyes but her gun never followed. My confusion built, was she waiting for something? Expecting someone to come up behind her?

Suddenly, she turned her head. Those lethal braids whipping through the air, a smile grew on her face, the scar stretching in an ugly manner. She wasn't looking at me...

Before I could process it, her gun moved, "DEVON!" I screeched, he swerved to face me, his expression cold and passive.

The gunshot shook me to my core, my bones aching with fear. Devon's face scrunched up as the bullet chafed his left bicep. I winced as a smattering of his blood flew behind us, "Fuck, fuck..." he hissed, continuing to move me towards the exit.

When we reached it, the woman was already racing across the floor, "You're arm..." I breathed out.

He assessed it for a moment before addressing me, "Bullshit, leave! I don't want to die because of you!" He shoved me backwards, causing me to lose my balance and fall onto the hard marble floor.

The pain shot up my spine, I cringed and turned onto my side and placed a hand on my back. I looked to Devon who momentarily allowed a concerned expression to pass over his face before building up his wall and turning to meet the vile woman behind him.

Slowly, I dragged myself out of the doorway and scampered down the pomade. Tears overflowed my eyes and fell down my face, my back ached terribly and every step sent a splintering pain up my back and my legs.

I needed to find my mother.

I needed her.

The noise hadn't died down by the time I'd reached the entrance. It felt as though it was following me, I was still shaking, my hand still stinging from the blade which I had misplaced during the havoc.

I paused to catch my breath, my back barking in protest. A grunt escaped me as I lowered myself down onto the bench, I bent over and sobbed. I sobbed hard.

My thoughts were unbalanced...

Why was Devon there?

Who was that woman?

How did she know him?

   And most importantly, why did Devon save me? He couldn't possibly know about my previous interactions with Isaac Kingsley... could he?

   A shadow skittered across the pomade, I gulped and turned my head swiftly. A tall boy with tousled blonde hair stood in the doorway to the mall. I recognised him...

"Harrison?"

   His once stiff demeanour sagged.

   "Aria?" He said, "What are you doing here? It's not safe!" He chastised me, marching towards me and lifting me up. A screech escaped me, "You're hurt?" He asked.

   I nodded, "Devon... woman... guns." Was all I could pant out, the pain clouding my thoughts.

   "Shit..." he wrapped an arm around my waist and we made our way outside, "Did you come alone?" He said softly, examining me for any external injures. The only thing he picked up on was the cut on my hand, it didn't seem to bother him too much.

   "Aria!" I heard, "Oh Aria baby!" My mother ran over, grabbing me and pulling me into a tight embrace. I winced at the pain but I wasn't about to let my mom know.

   "I'm fine mom." I said quickly, just so Harrison didn't comment. He frowned at me when I pulled away from my mother but he didn't say anything.

   "I was worried... I left a while ago, I was just waiting for you to come out. I thought something bad happened!" She continued.

   This means she didn't know what was going on in there. I almost sagged with relief, the pain in my back stopped me.

   "Who's this?" My mother said, smiling.

   Harrison stood there awkwardly for a moment before introducing himself, "Harry." He held out his hand.

   My mother - confused - took it and started to shake it gently. Harry?

   "Yes, he met me in the mall. That's why I was late, we got talking." I clarified, "can we go home now, I'm hungry." I began to push my mother away, saying a quick bye to Harrison.

   Another question for tomorrow...

   Why?

Okay. Not my best chapter but I hope you guys enjoyed it nonetheless. Sorry, I'm a bit off today 😂 hope you like the new cover too!!!

 Sorry, I'm a bit off today 😂 hope you like the new cover too!!!

I think it's SPICY!!

// ©️ // ®️ //