|| Chapter Fourty-Five - ...The end.||

Reuben stopped the car and turfed me and Devon out just outside the gates to the gang house. Then, he sped off through them and the sound of gunshots followed not long after.

   I flinched away from them and Devon shut his eyes and swore under his breath, "Be quiet." His voice was hard and sharp.

   Say no more.
   He wrapped a hand around my forearm and lead me into a line of bushes that lead alongside the driveway. There were hundreds of men lined up along it, their guns pointed at Reubens car, Reubens body looked lifeless upon initially seeing it, he was hanging, face down out of his car - his seatbelt holding him in.
   I watched in utter horror as the men nudged him with their guns, nothing. He didn't move at all.
   "He-" I wheezed.

   "He did it to distract them so we can get up to the house. He sacrificed himself for us - so let's not waste his efforts." Devon hissed, grabbing me tighter and speeding up his pace.
   The men who killed Reuben laughed amongst themselves and began to make their way back towards the bushes.

   Devon burst into a run, I copied him. We continued running until we reached the trunk of a large tree. It wasn't a very effective hiding spot for two.
   Devon was tapping on the tree, listening for something. Suddenly, after rapping on the corners, a chunk of bark came loose and revealed a large hollowed out hiding spot inside the trunk.
   He shoved me inside and followed, securing the bark in place just in time as the voices of the men surrounded the tree.

   He held his hand over my mouth and whispered, "Quiet. I mean it. We're dead otherwise."

   I was reminded of our experience in the mall, when we were hiding in amongst the clothing racks from... I assume... the exact same people.
   I nodded my compliance and he removed his hand.
   We waited in utter silence as the voices grew louder and then ultimately faded - we did this for a good half hour until Devon was certain nobody was around.

   My stomach churned suddenly and I covered my mouth to hold off the vomit. With a hiss, Devon kicked the bark off and held me up as the contents of my stomach were purged from me.

   I look to him and met his eyes, "whats goin-" my words were cut off as a man advanced on Devon from behind. He hit him around the back of the head with the barrel of his gun, I screamed and tried to turn and run only to meet the eyes of another man.
   Just like that. Lights out.

   Though muffled, I could still hear voices, desperate voices, all of which I recognised.
   Devon, Jodi, Harrison, Ace, Meghan, Parker, Joe... Isaac and Victoria.
   And one more. One I haven't heard in a while.
   My moms.

   I fought to open my eyes. Although every inch of my person was screaming at me not to.
   I should've listened.

   The scene before me was gruesome.
   Dead bodies lay scattered and broken all around the courtyard, cars were burning, the sounds of people pleading and crying filled the air followed by gunshots and screams.
   My mom was on her knees, bound between Isaac and Victoria, with Victoria's gun to the back of her head.

   My stomach lurched again but I fought it, my brow broke out into a cold sweat as I watched Devon standing in front of his friends, arms up, speaking slowly and softly.
   Negotiation. Because he can't win this time. And he knows it.

   As soon as they realised, men raced toward me and held me up by my neck. I squeaked, thrashing around instinctively in their grip.
   I felt a pressure on my lower abdomen and looked up to see none other than Jonas smiling down at me. A bitter, burnt smile. His face was horrifically charred and twisted, still oozing and red raw from the flames. In fact, most men here were burnt, and very angry because of it.