|| Chapter Thirty-Two - Isabelle ||

"What will Jensen do for us?" I scoffed, after hearing what I'd heard it didn't sound like Jensen had many people's priorities in his best interests besides his own. After all, did this all not end with my father being murdered?

   Devon shot me a look before firmly shaking his head, "we have nothing on Jensen to claim that he was somehow mixed in with killing your father-" the words stung, "so, if you know what's good for you, don't you dare act cold toward him." Devon sneered, "I care about you Aria, I really do, but if it's between a war with Jensen and you... I'll hesitate. Even I'm scared of what that man is capable of." He shrugged, "and he was like a father to me."

   My throat bobbed as I nodded.

   "Harrison!" Devon called for his wingman. Harrison came almost immediately as if he'd been awaiting Devon's call. If nothing else, I admired his loyalty to Devon. I remember the violent threat Devon had shot Harrison's way on my first day... and yet? Here he is, at his beck-and-call.

   I didn't listen in on the words they shared before Harrison blanched and slowly walked out into the hallway, a throwaway phone in his hand. The conversation, the scraps I could hear, was gruff and concise.

   Devon paced his floor and gnawed on his knuckle, "This could go really badly or it could go really well." He admitted, "I hope you know - and I can tell you this know with absolute certainty - I won't let my men and women walk into a fire for your mom... but I, myself, will. If it comes down to it." He was watching me with business eyes, nothing but seriousness here.

   "Thank you." I breathed, "but, I wouldn't let you do that. No way." My mouth quirked up slightly at the sides, "My mom has always been able to handle herself... I'm sure she'd hang on long enough for us to devise another plan." Of course I didn't believe those words. When things got difficult my mom threw herself into work, into distractions, but any distraction besides me.

   She wasn't a fighter. She'd always quit at the first hurdle. As much as it pained me to think that.

   Devon didn't respond. He merely nodded before Harrison came waltzing back into the room, "Well, you have half an hour to get to the base he's at. He's impatient. Best hurry."

   A few moments later we were all kitted out in complete black. It amused me that Devon didn't have to change.

   Reuben drove us to the middle of batshit nowhere, surrounded by large chain-metal fencing that was guarded by barbed wire. It was anything but discreet.

   As soon as we got out of the car we were greeted by a man. Tall, broad, blonde and dashingly handsome. At his side, a smaller woman with striking resemblance to Isaac. Isabelle, I realised. She was clinging to the hand of a small boy, her other hand resting on her slightly swollen stomach.
   Despite the fact that they were a unit, a family, their expressions were placid, devoid of any and all emotion.

   Apart from the small boy that is. He was smiling jovially at us all. Jensen, I assumed, stepped forward and eyed Devon suspiciously before breaking into a smile and giving him a bear-hug. I stood for a moment, stunned.

   He's a bad guy? Ok Devon.

   "Devon." Jensen said, by way of greeting, "How're things son?" Devon visibly tensed at the word, but he didn't comment, he merely tilted his hand from side to side and made a small, inconspicuous noise.

   Jensen made a knowing sound before walking back over to his family and picking the small boy up. They were uncanny resemblances of each other, "I don't believe you two have met?" He pointed his question at Devon.