|| Chapter Twenty - Horror ||

I followed Devon towards his room. I had occasionally been in there to grab him a few things when he was still bed ridden for the two hours they could hold him there for.

"Wait here." He ordered, slipping into the room and slamming the door behind him. I rolled my eyes, it was easy to forget that Devon was a teenage boy, when his demeanour didn't account for it.

I heard shuffling, a few curses and a loud bang before his door opened again. This time, Devon was wearing a black t-shirt, he rubbed the back of his neck as I walked in. Examining the room, nothing was out of place, it made me wonder what he was doing in there.

"I don't know what you have and haven't watched." He started, "But I just pulled up the menu." Devon pointed toward the large tv on his wall. There was an array of horror movies scattered across the screen.

I chuckled and walked over to the tv, my eyes snagging on the cardboard square sloppily attached to the wall. I lingered on it for a moment before Devon cleared his throat. I smiled sheepishly and turned away, walking towards the small layout in front of the tv.

"What's this?" I asked, trying to hide the amusement from my voice. The pillows were lopsided and thrown awkwardly onto a pile of beanbags.

"Well, you said your favourite movie is horror. I'm bored, Parker refuses to let me interfere with gang business so..." Devon Shrugged, "I made us a little spot to watch a movie on." I smiled at him and took my seat.

We flicked through movies for a while, the giddy teenager inside me was happy dancing. It felt like a date, but a default date. A date he didn't know he was setting up.

   We settled on a movie called "Slashed" which was one of those sex fuelled butcher festivals. I spent most of it contemplating about how I got here, my mother, my father, Devon... Isaac.

   "What's wrong?" He asked, looking towards me. I was shocked that he managed to drag his eyes away from the moaning girl on the screen. I guess he isn't a manwhore, that's a plus.

   "I'm just..." I drifted off, "My mother is still missing and-" Devon shook his head.

   "I've told you, we will find her. I swear." He said blatantly, an unamused expression capturing his face, "You need to try to relax, have a little faith in me." He pleaded, turning back to the screen.

   "Devon?" I asked.

   He made a small noise but didn't look to me.

   "Why isn't Kat here?" Devon's shoulders tensed, he took a deep breath before shutting his eyes and sighing.

   "Kat shouldn't be mixed up in this. Neither should you- you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time." He reasoned, closing the conversation.

   "Yes bu-" Devon's curse stopped me.

   "Fuck!" He got to his feet, swaying a little before he started shouting, "I said stop! Relax! Stop asking questions!" He bellowed. I frowned at him and got to my feet, he was startlingly tall compared to me and he looked even more menacing in this moment.

   Pulling the little courage I had from deep inside me, I spoke, "I am sorry. I'm sorry I don't understand your fucked up world. I'm sorry if I am concerned and want to know what sort of messed up shit I'm involved in. However, most of all, I apologise for being such a burden on your life. You didn't need to save me, but you did and if you regret that, call Isaac and tell him to take me home. With the way you're acting around here, i'd probably feel more welcome in a dark and dingy cell under his home..." My throat was aching and my eyes were burning, "than in a haphazard room at the back of this place." Devon's eyes were low-lidded, his expression - for once- was actually readable.

   My grand- pathetic- soliloquy had hit home. It was obvious there was some messed up internal conflict dancing around inside of him, occasionally his eyebrows would knit together or his breathing would hitch.

   However, he didn't say anything.

   "I guess that's that then." I stated, "You call Isaac, I'll pack my bags and write my suicide note." With that, I turned on my heel and stormed out, not daring to give him a chance to talk.

   I opened the door to find a very aghast looking Jodi, Harrison equally as mortified. He had his hands placed on her shoulders. I rolled my eyes and marched past them, weaving my way through the identical corridors until I reached my room.

   It was then that I actually took control. I started packing my bags.

   I was leaving.

   Tonight.

Oohhh... in the words of gossip girl "You can't help a damsel who loves her distress." ✨❤️

May or may not have downloaded Netflix and rewatched GG all over again. Why not? I'm sorry but I need me some Chuck Bass and Nate Archibald!

Ps. Thanks for the votes guys! Means a lot. Sorry for the late updates, this chapter was hard to read and I've been dealing with a lot recently. Turns out, anxiety is a real bitch. College and GCSE's are messing me up really good.

Pps . Sorry for the sap story.

©️//®️