|| Chapter Nine - Virgin Aria ||

Frantic, petrified, tentative... all the words synonymous with FUCKING TERRIFIED shot into my brain. Devon looked at me, my face was burning, his thick arched eyebrows knitted together as he beheld me, "Well?" He pushed.

I opened my mouth to reply but the words never came. I couldn't think of an appropriate answer, if I said yes then Devon would probably tear every element of my life apart but... if I said no, I didn't want to imagine what would happen if I said no.

"I-" my voice cut off as I considered my answer, "Why?"

Devon rolled his eyes, "If I told you now, you'd-" he grunted, rubbing his hands over his face in annoyance, "Just do it, would you? You're the only one who knows about my involvement..." I scoffed.

He glared at me, "What?" He spat.

"Involvement? All the words you could use and you go with involvement?" Laughing, I looked away from him, "You- you gave me a knife!" I whispered, "that woman, she knew you!" My voice was cracking as the events came back to me, "I-I saw you get shot." I finished, covering my mouth as the bile rose up, tears springing into my eyes.

A look of panic flashed over his face before he moved his hand to his arm, he lifted up the sleeve of his shirt and revealed a small bandage, "see, fine." He said gently, "look, I'm sorry if all that scared you but I sort of saved your life." Devon countered. Much to my distaste.

"I know." I said glumly, "What do you need to know?" My voice was weak, it held no conviction as I accepted his request.

Devon sagged with relief as I said that, "Come with me." Devon looked around before grabbing my wrist and leading me along the library floor. Some girls took a break from their studying to gape at me and Devon. It had to look somewhat mysterious, the notorious Devon leading the innocent new girl to a quiet space.

   I tried my best to appear neutral, hoping the attention would drift away from me somehow. I could still feel their eyes as we turned the corner, making our way to the "Quiet Space" which was made for simple one on one tutor sessions. There were three separate rooms which were closed off by a door. Two of the three were currently vacant, likely the lunchtime tutoring for the... below average achieving students.

   Devon walked into the only available one and locked the door behind us. The room was bright, painted a shocking green colour with billboards and whiteboards scattered around. There was a cheap strip light that spanned the width of the room and cast a sad glow on the table.

   Devon sat me down on the chair to the right of the room, while he took the left. Instantly, the atmosphere changed, this was an interrogation. There wasn't any way of getting out of it now.

   "Right, I just need to evaluate." He spoke lowly, as if he was concerned someone would be listening in, I wouldn't be surprised if they were, "You moved here from the south side right?" He said.

   I nodded stiffly, glancing around the room for any cameras or microphones. There didn't appear to be much, aside from the odd miscellaneous item. There was a large vent in the corner of the room that probably aired out the cell. However, I was mindful  to keep my eye on it.

   "So, you were in close quarters with the Dragons." That was more of a statement than a question, "You said you had a 'relationship' with Isaac, what sort of relationship was it?" I was taken aback by the question.

   "It was... exclusive." I said reluctantly, "or at least it was to me." Still, I remember her face, clear as day. His true intention was to use me as his little innocent toy whilst he slept with another girl... not that we were sleeping together anyway. I had noticed his reluctantly to spend time with me near the end of our relationship, but I hadn't really been sceptical of it until...

   Until he tried to use me to bridge a gap. You see, this toy I was pretending to be, wasn't exactly a play thing...

   "Aria!" Devon snapped me out of my haze, "Tell me, does he have some sort of attachment to you!" He seethed.

   "A-attachment?" I asked, balling my t shirt up in my hands.

   He sat back, his tongue prodding at the side of his mouth, "When a member of a gang has- intimate relations-" he strained, "let's put it like that." I nodded slowly, "with their partners, they have some claim over them. It's a stupid gang condition, not fair but nevertheless..." he looked at me from lowered lashes.

   "Are you asking me if I had sex with Isaac?" I stated.

   Devon clenched his jaw for a moment before sagging, "Yes." His voice was rough, the vibration from his tone alone was enough to set me on edge.

   "No. No I didn't." A sour taste filled my mouth as I recalled that moment, just seeing them together made my heart break into two. I've never hated someone before, never, but I suppose I can make room for Isaac in that dark place.

   Devon folded his arms in front of his broad chest and made a small noise, "Good." He breathed out, "as long as he doesn't have a driving motive to come after you specifically..." he drifted off and looked down at the floor.

   "What do you mean, come after me?" I shuddered at the thought of ever seeing Isaac again, I don't think I could hold myself back, I'd have to do something to him. Claw his face, kick him in the balls or worse.

   Devon shifted uncomfortably in his seat before looking me dead in the eye, a hint of sympathy swam around in his green orbs, "We have reason to believe that Isaac is leading a group of gang members here in the town." He let it all out in one breath.

   It felt as if someone had hit me, hit me with a cold hard wave of fear. My hands began to shake, "When..." I rasped.

   "Earlier this morning. Anyone with links into the gang was informed about the sudden movement from the Dragons side." He sighed, "The Serpent leader believes there is some sort of motive behind him coming back, retrieving something." I looked at him shyly.

   "And they think it's me." I finished.

   "No." Devon shut me down.

   "I have a feeling it is you."

Oooooh, I'm so excited, this is developing, and now we have our first few votes, a big thank you to @CeciandJack for that.

©️//®️