|| Chapter Thirteen - Will-I-Live||

An eerie silence had settled over us. Neither of us made a move to speak, the only sound was Devon's laboured breathing as we rode over speed bumps and potholes.

   "You're hurt." I stayed dumbly. Devon scoffed and looked out the window, clearly not interested in talking. I would understand if this was a lovers quarrel, but it was far from that and silence wasn't the answer I was looking for.

   So, I tried again, "Well? What was that all about?" I whispered, my voice wavered.

   "Not important." Devon muttered, adjusting himself in the passenger seat.

   Suddenly, I stopped the car. He was launched forward, a cry of pain issuing from his mouth- a pang of guilt ran through me before I spoke, "Yes, yes it is fucking important Devon. My mother is in danger, I am in danger, for god sake that guy wants me to join him. I understand that you don't like people mooching around in your business but guess what?" I was breathing heavily now, my stress evident, "After today, you don't get the pleasure of isolation. Not after that... speech you made." My voice broke at the end.

   A muscle in his jaw feathered before he turned to look directly at me, "I had to say something to make him an-" he began.

   "Bullshit." I exclaimed, "Bull..." I undid my seatbelt, "...shit." And slipped from the car. Devon began to protest but I didn't linger, I marched from the car and into my home.

   When I reached the front door, everything inside of me turned to ice. My blood ran cold as I beheld the scene before me. My door was nothing but a pile of splintered wood attached to a doorframe, the pictures and artwork that had been newly hung around our house was nothing more, in pieces on the ground. Including one all-to-familiar photo.

   Mom and Dad on their wedding day. The picture I had scoured our earlier in the week. The crystalline frame was now dull and cracked, chunks of glass missing from the once beautiful piece. My fathers face had been scribbled out with a shard of glass, the only remnants of his face was the outline of his rosy cheeks. My mother however, she had been vandalised. Horns were drawn on the top of her head, an immature move.

   And a confusing one.

   "Mom?" I called out. No reply. This wasn't just a replay of this morning, this was really happening. My mom was gone, the only one I had left, gone.

   My temporary mourning for the loss of my Maybe-dead-mother was interrupted by the sounds of grunting and strain. Devon dragged himself into the house, more blood spilling from in between his already soaked fingers. I gasped when I beheld his face, he was deathly pale, eccentric dark circles formed under his eyes.

   "Oh my god, Devon." I gasped, moving towards him. I wrapped an arm around his broad figure as best I could and used the little strength I had to lead him-

   It wasn't safe to use the living room. Anyone can see us form there if they look in. I ground my teeth and turned to the stairs, "Will You be able to get up?" I asked. He nodded and made a pained sound.

   We tackled the stairs. Occasionally we slipped and nearly took a spill all the way down again but, regardless of his situation, Devon pulled us both up.

   Sheepishly, I smiled and limped over to my room, it was farthest from the doorway and would just increase our escape time if needed. I had no doubt that Isaac probably knew where we were, we haven't traveled far from the school and Devon's truck would give us away instantly.

   But there wasn't time to be picky about our discreetness. Devon looked like he was on the brink of death and I don't know how to help him. I lay him down gently on my bed, my room was untouched, I couldn't say the same for the rest of the home.

   His face contorted as he lay back, but he didn't complain. His face was badly bruised but nothing seemed broken, his nose piercing was in bad shape though, it had tore through some of the skin by the looks of it, but that isn't life threatening.

   What I was concerned about however, was the giant gash leaking blood from his side. "Can i?" I said awkwardly, Devon nodded firmly before reluctantly slipping his hand away from the wound.

   I grabbed the hem of his shirt and slowly peeled it up and off him. Devon swore harshly as I did so but he didn't fight me.

   My heart stopped when I saw the wound. It was undoubtably a stab wound, that must have been why they caught him, they played dirty and stabbed him.

   "Will I live?" He teased, his voice coming out hoarse.

   The worst part about it was...

   I wasn't so sure.

Just a small filler for you guys. By the way, thank you so much for reading it, my reads are going- while slowly- progressively upward.

©️//®️