Chapter 1: Assignment [Edited]

Chapter 1

Ed and Al stood outside of Central Building looking up at the entrance. Ed slouched his back and let out a great sigh. "I hate this job." he dragged his feet up the steps shortly followed by Al.

As they entered the building they were swarmed by lieutenants Hawkeye, Havoc and Breda complaining.  "You're late." said Hawkeye, she escorted them and continued; "Mustang won't be happy you know."

Ed stood up straight and looked up at Hawkeye who had a small smirk on her face. "I know, I know. I've just been a little busy looking for the Philosopher's stone, again." he louched his back again.

"About that, have you found any more information on it?" she asked.

"What do you think!"

"Brother!" exclaimed Al looking down at him. "I'm afraid we haven't. We just keep getting ourselves into trouble as usual."

She looked up at Al's glowing eyes, "That's a shame."

They stopped at the door to Mustang's office, Hawkeye opened the door for them. "Ed and Al are here, sir". As they walked into the office they saw Mustang stood at the window looking out of it. He had his harms behind his back and stood quite proud.

"Ah yes, you've finally finished your report have you? " he asked while turning to face them. Ed fell onto the seat in front of him, Al placed himself next to his older brother. His armour clanked a little as he did so.

Ed reached into his pocket and pulled out a document. "Here." he said as he flicked it onto Roy's desk. Roy began to examine it and as he did so he questioned them. "Why did it take you so long to get this completed? What were you doing?"

Ed looked at him with an unimpressed face and replied, rather harshly, "Looking for the philosipher's stone. What else would we be doing?".

Mustang placed the document onto a pile of paperwork, that he had yet to complete, on his desk. He sat up straight and smirked, "Hm, don't look so glum, Fullmetal. I've got another assignment for you." Ed and Al both sighed and bowed their heads, small sweat droppes appeared on tjere cheeks.

"What do you need us to do and where do we need to go?" asked Al lifting his head. He knew Ed wouldn't ask, he was to pissed to be around Mustang so there was no way he was going to thrilled about more assignments.

Mustang pulled out a document from his draw and passed it to them. "We have a new state alchemist, they just passed the other day. I need you to find them and put their information onto this document."

Ed examined the document and sighed, "Hhhm, this is boring. Anyway why didn't you get it from him when he passed?" Hmm, this doesn't sound right.

Mustang looked at Ed and his smirk turned into a frown. He stood up and looked outside the window in the same position he was in when the brothers walked in. "The Fuhrer gave them the name 'The Clockwork Alchemist'. I don't know where they are so you will have to find that out by yourselves." Mustang turned back to face them, giving them a smal smirk.

"So you expect us to find  an alchemist who even the military doesn't know the location of!" exclaimed Ed, beginning to get angry and clenching his teeth together. He made his hands into fists and sat up in his seat.

Mustang smirked omce again. "You two are usually good at that sort of thing. Anyway, I think you would like this assignment." he paused for a moment and focused on their reactions. "I've heard that they know a thing or two about the philosopher's stone."

Ed unclenched his teeth and fist, Mustang could see the calmness in his goden eyes. Al was so pleased that he almost jumped out of his chair. "Really?"

"That's what I have beed informed."

Al looked down to Ed, "Brother, what do you think?"

Ed tried to hide a smile, "Hm, I suppose we could, well we don't really have a choice. C'mon Al." He replied while standing up and heading towards the door.

As they left, Mustang tilted his head towards the floor and shut his eyes. His gentle smirk grew a little, "Hm."