Demonstration

There was an awkward silence. Ed and Al sat up and a shocked look appeared on their faces.

"But... you're a girl!" Ed exclaimed.

"Brother!" shouted Al.

Clockwork's frown began to grow, and the anger turned into hatred. "What do you mean 'You're a girl'?" She asked sharply, "Girls can be State alchemists too you know!" she exclaimed as she folded her arms.

Ed rubbed the back of his neck and smiled awkwardly, "What I meant was... er... I didn't expect the Clockwork alchemist to be a female, that's all."

Clockwork unfolded her ams and relaxed her shoulders, "Hmm. Ok. But next time you won't be so lucky, Fullmetal."

Ed was getting ready to complain to Clockwork as he was expecting her to think Al was the fullmetal alchemist, "Wha... oh, you actually got the right person." he said, feeling glad about himself. "I must be getting taller or something." he continued while placing his fists on his hips and sitting up straight.

"Ha, that's not the reason." Clockwork interrupted as she shook her head slightly and giggled.

The smile on Ed's face disappeared and a vein pulsed on his forehead.

"So, Clockwork. Why did the fuhrer give you that name?" asked Al.

Clockwork soon returned to a neutral feeling and answered, "Hmmm, well it's either because of my auto-mail, or my alchemy skill."

"Auto-mail?" Ed asked.

Clockwork looked at Ed and smiled as she said, "Yeah, auto-mail." She rolled up her left sleeve and removed her glove, she revealed a red and rusty-brown auto-mail arm. It was well made but looked very old and battered. Ed and Al leaned forward to get a better look, blinking and mouth half open as they did so.

She used her right hand to prize open one of the slabs of metal. Inside was a small mechanism, spinning second by second, just like a clock. "I had to make this myself with the scraps of metal you can see around the house." she said while gesturing around the room, "The hardest part was, I had to make it with just my right hand." she explained while clicking the metal back into place.

The brothers sat back in their seat and Al then asked, "So what is your special skill?"

Clockwork smiled and closed her eyes, "You may not believe me, but I can travel in time..."

There was yet another awkward silence...

"Hahahahahaha!" laughed the brothers.

Clockwork's smile disappeared as she opened her eyes again.

"No one can travel in time!" exclaimed Ed, still laughing and wiping a tear from his eye.

"I told you that you wouldn't believe me!" she explained, "Would you like a demonstration?" she asked in an angry, humiliated voice.

They both nodded and and watched carefully.

She stood up and grabbed a stick of chalk that was on the table to the left of her. She moved the tea and trey from the middle table and began to draw a transmutation circle. The brothers watched the chalk move about, smiling in disbelief. Once she finished the circle she placed both hands on it, creating a burst of light.

Suddenly, the door swung open, it was Clockwork. The Clockwork at the table suddenly disappeared, with no transmutation circle.

The Clockwork at the door then said,"Catch." throwing something to Ed.

He caught it in one hand and opened it slowly, his eyes widened and he gasped as he saw the object.

In his hand was a chocolate, rectangular biscuit.