Chapter 2: the shadow [Edited]

"We've been wandering around this place for ages, Clockwork isn't here, Al." complained Ed, dragging his feet against the rubble on the ground.

Al stopped and sighed, "You're right, we should try the next town." Ed slouched his back and reluctantly followed Al, kicking stones and pebbles on the way.

*****

They were almost at Endpool town when they decided to ask a local farmer about Clockwork.

The farmer held a large stick in his hand and wore a stereotypical farmer outfit. He had a dog and was conducting it to herd sheep around and large green field. Ed approached the farmer and tapped him on the shoulder, "Excuse me sir? You don't happen to know a state alchemist do you? The Clockwork one."

The farmer turned around and frowned. "Aye, I know them. Stole one of me sheep, he did." he replied in an old croaky voice.

"I see. Do you happen to know where he is?" Asked Al, interfering. The farmer looked down a little and placed his hand on his chin. "Hmm, last I knew they were in Endpool, just up the path." he replied pointing over the hill.

"Ah. Thank you sir!" Al said, as he bowed, and carried on up the road. Ed followed him slightly relieved.

They soon came across the entrence to Endpool and were greeted by civilians. "Hello there. Do any of you happen to know about the Clockwork alchemist?" Ed asked quite eagerly. One of the men scratched his head and looked to the sky.

"Let me think... Hmm, yeah I think they were last seen in the town square. Why?" replied the man.

"Official business." he signalled for Al to follow and passed through the gate.

*****

They searched the streets, asking locals if they had seen Clockwork anywhere. There were a few that had, a few that hadn't and the rest despised them.

Ever since they entered the town a 'shadow' had been following them. They never had a chance to get a proper look at the 'shadow' but they had a rough idea.

*****

It was starting to get dark and Ed's stomach was growling. "Uhh, Al can we stop and get something to eat please." he moaned as he placed his hand on his stomach.

They sat outside a cafe waiting for their order. "This is useless!" Ed shouted, flailing his arms about,  "Three days and still no sight of Clockwork." Ed complained. There was an awkward silence between the brothers for a few minutes, Ed tapped his fingers on the table impatiently and had a glum look on his face.

"Here is your order sir" the waitress stopped next to Ed and handed him his coffee and cake. "Complimentary chocolate biscuit, sir." she added, handing him a chocolate, rectangular biscuit.

"Thanks!" he replied, smiling as she walked away. He held the biscuit up to his face and opened his mouth wide.

Suddenly, a hand snatched it from him. He lifted his head quickly, "Hey!" he shouted. The thief just casually walked away, waving at him as if to see him soon. It was a girl, she had short, brown hair and brown eyes. She wore a black top and dark brown trousers. Her shoes were average-looking, nothing special.

Ed stood up out of his chair, rested his fist on the table and shook the other one at the girl. He soon got his anger out of his system and calmly sat back in his seat. he closed his eyes to keep calm, "I'm glad I didn't have to pay for that" he opened his eyes again and picked up his cake. "At least I still have this" he continued. He then looked around to make sure no one took his cake.

*****

It was almost midnight and the brothers were walking through an alleyway. "Well I guess we will have to wait until tomorrow to find Clockwork." Al said, trying to break the silence. Ed nodded, "Yeah, but now we need to find a place to sleep." he replied.

What Ed and Al didn't know was that above them was the 'shadow' perched upon some wooden scaffolding. They had short, brown hair, brown eyes, and had a black bandana covering their nose and mouth. They had dark clothes, mostly made out of wolfhide and leather, they had black gloves on and their shoes were average-looking, nothing special.

They watched the brothers wander through the alley, leaning away from the building where the scaffolding was set, and grasping a groove in the wall to stop themselves from falling.They hopped from one scaffolding to another, one that was just in front of Ed.

They pulled out a rope and attached one end to the scaffolding, and the other to their foot. They dropped themself from the scaffolding,  just in front of Ed.

Ed stopped in his tracks, "Woah!" he shouted in surprise, "Who the hell are you?" he asked unhappily.