Research

Ed and Al sat there, watching the biscuit as if it was going to do something. They were sitting in disbelief, waiting for someone to break the silence.

"Sooo, do you believe me now?" Clockwork asked awkwardly.

"Th... this is... the biscuit from earlier... H... how?" exclaimed Ed.

Clockwork smiled and sat opposite the brothers. "You can eat the biscuit this time, Ed." she explained, smiling at him. "I'm sorry I can't offer you any tea or biscuits Al." she apologised.

They both looked up at her with a cautious look. "What do you mean?" Al asked.

Clockwork's smile turned into a confused face as she said, " Well, you're just a set of armour, aren't you?"

The brothers gasped, Ed's eyes widened and pupils shrunk. "How do you know?" he asked, getting worried.

Clockwork smiled again before replying, " Well, the way you walk shows that you can move quickly, meaning there is nothing inside to slow you down. When I ran into you, the sound was very hollow, and your glowing eyes are a big giveaway."

Al moved his head back a little is suprise and looked at his hands, "Is it really that obvious?" he asked.

Clockwork then replied, "Only if you've done the research." she shut her eyes and smiled friendly. The brothers looked at her with a confused look.

"You see, I'm kind of a nerd for you guys." Clockwork sighed. "I have always been obsessed with alchemy, but when I heard about you becoming the youngest state alchemist, Ed. It inspired me to become one too. My friends never understood my obsession with you guys, but I didn't let that stop me."

They both watched her in fascination, Ed then smiled and said, "Who knew we had fans, Al?" he placed his fists on his hips again and smiled proudly.

"Hm, you have no idea." she muttered.

"Huh?" asked Ed.

"Nothing, nothing. So what made you come to Endpool to find me?" she asked, trying to change the subject.

"Mustang told us that you know a few things about the philosipher's stone. Is that true?" asked Al.

Clockwork didn't look very happy, "I may know... a few things." she answered.

Ed smiled, lent forward and asked quite eagerly, "Do you mind if we could have a look at your research?"

Clockwork sqinted her eyes and had a concerned look. "Hmm... Well I guess I could... Ok, wait there." she ordered. She stood up and walked over to a cupboard that was on the wall above a table. she pulled out a key that was attached to a chain around her neck, it was hidden inside her top. She carefully opened the lock, she grabbed stacks of paperwork that were bound together with string. There were a lot of them so she struggled to take them to Ed and Al.

Thump! Was the sound they made as she dropped them on the table. "Here you are, all the information I have on the philosopher's stone." she said, breathing heavily and tapping the top of the pile.

Ed couldn't see over the top of the pile so he had to stand up to talk to Clockwork, "This much! How were you able do research all of this in this short time of being a state alchemist?" he asked as he picked up a pile of paperwork.

Al thought about what Ed had just said, "Brother's right; how did you get all this information?" he paused for a moment, "Surely you would have had an assignment in that time, right?" he asked.

Clockwork stood there trying to think of a quick excuse.

Ed put down the book and looked at her cautiously, "No Al, that's because she's in her assignment now..."

"Then what are you guys doing now?" she asked quickly.

The brothers jumped up, Al got himself into a fighting position as Ed trandformed his auto-mail into his sword. Clockwork jumped back and pulled out two knives from her pockets, she held them in a position to defend herself.

"What was your assignment?!" exclaimed Ed, getting worked up.

"Mustang sent me looking for you to fill out your profile document, that's all." she answered.

"Well we were sent to fill out your profile document." Ed said still angry.

Clockwork lowered her weapons and said politely, "That's strange, I got mine filled out after I passed the exam..."

Ed and Al also lowered their weapons and Ed became more relaxed, "So did I..."

There was an awkward silence as everyone realised what had happened.

A pulsing vein throbbed on their heads and they all spoke simultaneously, "Mustang set it up..."