Attempt

It's Jade again. Today when I sat down at my usual spot on the round table for lunch, I felt something on the bench. I sat up and looked down revealing a white envelope with my name on it in cursive. I knew that Jake wouldn't have done this because he told me he couldn't write in cursive even if his life was at stake. It could be a meeting for another plan we're going to pull on the couple, but I peered around and noticed no one else had gotten a letter. Maybe they had already been informed?

I opened up the envelope under the table to find a folded up letter, addressed to me again.

Dear Jade,

I'll be at the gym today and I need you to bring my backpack there, I have a personal trainer and he doesn't want me to be late. I know how chaotic the lockers are. Sorry, I didn't text you, you deleted my contact or blocked me. Either way, this is the best form of communication to you these days. Sorry for the late notice, please bring it after school. It is located in your locker, hope no one steals it!

-Tyler

I already knew it was from Tyler when the gym came up. He told me he had been working out there for five days each week! I could barely even do ten pushups and he's in there probably doing fifty. He had great timing for this letter because if he delivered this to me tomorrow, I would have to decline since I have soccer practice every Thursday and Tuesday at our High School soccer field.

When the final bell rang, I ran to my locker and managed not to get trampled by any students as I clutched Tyler's backpack in my right hand and opened my locker with my left. I took my backpack out and walked quickly to my car. I put them in my backseat and managed to beat the parking lot traffic.

IWC was the biggest gym in California, and anyone could attend anytime. They had low prices so it wasn't a surprise when Tyler signed up. Other kids from the football team, soccer team, and basketball team came here and on Fridays it's crowded. I personally don't like the gym atmosphere because it smells like sweat and every time you sit down you have a higher chance of getting fungus since the infected person probably didn't wipe off the seat.

When I drove up to the parking lot, Tyler was not waiting outside, he must have been in the gym. I parked closest to IWC (International Workout Place) and proceeded to the entrance. I was about to open up the gym door when I saw a flash of black on my right side. I turned around and saw Tyler in a black suit waiting for me by the side door.

"Why are you in a suit?" I asked him as I threw him his backpack.

He caught it with on hand and pulled out a perfectly trimmed red rose from his back pocket. "I didn't actually have a personal trainer, all of that was a lie to get you here," He said nervously.

"Listen to Tyler, I already told you I like Jake,"

"Well, I was hoping that today I would get a chance to change that," He said taking a step closer.

"This is all very flattering but-" I was interrupted.

"Please Jade, give me one chance, I swear I will never ask for one again," He pleaded.

"Okay, where are we going?"
"May I drive?"
"Sure," I said as I threw him the keys.

As we walked side by side I felt kind of intimidated by our outfits. I was wearing just a t-shirt and jeans and he went all out, he even had dress pants. I knew that Tyler was a great guy, so tonight would be a good night as well. I think tonight he would go all out, and this sure beats staying at home doing my homework alone while waiting for a text from anyone.

He opened the door politely for me as I stepped into my own car. I wanted tonight to be fun so I didn't want to be gloomy in front of Tyler.

"I call shotgun," I said jokingly.