Chapter Five

Azriel

Cassian and I lounge in the sitting room, playing a hand of cards, awaiting the arrival of the High Lord. The Archeon sisters sit in the dining room, talking quietly amongst themselves. Mor breezes in through the door, returning from a shopping trip. My gaze is drawn to her, the slim gown she wears accentuating her curves. I feel Cassian's eyes lingering on her as well.

Our eyes meet, and the smile on her face punches a hole through the shadows hovering around my face. The breath leaves my chest for a heartbeat. Her cheeks are flushed from happiness, and my eyes linger on her face, her beauty. Feyre calls out to her, and Mor lets out a laugh. That sound... it's the most beautiful sound in existence.

Mor walks out of the door again, and the shadows curl around my face. Whispers of power float through the room a moment before Rhysand winnows into the foyer. Feyre releases a shuddering breath as the High Lord appears, free of harm and injuries. Cassian beckons to me as the High Lady wraps her arms around Rhysand's waist.

Cassian and I hurry out the door and begin walking towards the House of Wind. Halfway down the block, Amren races past us, a look of unfathomable rage in her silver eyes. Frenzied whispers about... Hybern.

My feet freeze on the cobblestones. Cassian immediately turns to face me, demanding to know what is wrong. The tendrils of shadow bring me chaotic images of... Hybern. Ships. Heat, overbearing heat. Adriata. Hybern.

I begin to race back to the townhouse, Cassian's footsteps only a few feet behind me. The door is already open, and Amren stands in the foyer, panting. The others radiate tension. "Hybern has attacked the Summer Court. They lay siege to Adriata as we speak."

Guilt and shame flood through me as she gives the news I already know. Hybern attacks Summer, and I don't see it coming. Stupid, stupid! How could I have missed the signs?

The question leaves a sense of curiosity in my mind. How did Amren even find out about the attack? Cassian must be wondering the same thing as he asks, "Has Tarquin called for aid?"

I tense as Amren's jaw tightens. "I don't know. I got the message, and... nothing else?"

The plans, the possibilities of a battle, set Cassian's mind to whirring. His voice loses its familiar warmth. He transforms into the general of the Night Court armies, into the most talented warrior on the killing field. "Did the Summer Court have a mobile fighting force readied when you were there?"

The High Lord shakes his head. "No, his armada was scattered across the coast."

I share the information my eyes and ears have been feeding me for weeks. Hardly any ships in Adriata, most of the army along the Spring Court border. The eyes of the others darken as the realization hits them. The Summer Court is in danger of falling. "There are twenty ships in Adriata."

Rhys nods and turns to his Second. "What are the numbers on Hybern?"

She gives a slight shake of her head. "I don't know. Many. Too many. I think they are overwhelmed."

"What was the exact message?" The voice of the High Lord.

"It was a warning. From Varian. To prepare our own defenses."

Silence fills the room. My spies had whispered to me that Amren and Varian were... close, but... I never knew they were friends or in contact. Cassian expresses my own surprise. "Prince Varian sent you a warning?"

The silver eyes glow with anger. "It is a thing friends do."

Feyre steps forward, her gaze intense as she stares at her mate. "We cannot leave Tarquin to face them alone. Blood rubies or not. I cannot stand by as innocents die."